Resetting/Repairing/Reinstalling Winsock2 / Testing for corruption

I've recently run into a bad virus which (I believe) has corrupted my Winsock2.  In old versions of Windows, you could easily delete the Winsock files from the registry, reboot and reinstall from the inf folder.  However, this does not appear to be the same with Windows 7.

My questions:

1.  How do you test to determine if Winsock2 is corrupt? In XP, there was a NetDiag command, which no longer works in Win 7.
2.  Are there third-party programs for fixing Winsock2 in Win 7?
3.  Will running a "netsh winsock reset" command reset both Winsock AND Winsock2?  If not, is there an alternative method to resetting only Winsock2?
4.  Are there registry settings listed anywhere on the web for what Winsock2 registry settings SHOULD look like?
5.  Is there a means of completely reinstalling Winsock2 in Win 7?

If you could answer any (or all ;-) of these, I would be deeply indebted.

Thank you,

Bill

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2019 Views 87,877 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi sumdimguy,

1.      For the first question, about determining if Winsock 2 and Winsock is corrupt: In the below article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 (Refer the section “Manual steps to determine whether the Winsock2 key is corrupted for Windows Vista users”. The steps are the same for Windows 7)

2.      To reset Winsock2, from the same link above, the next step which has Manual steps to recover from Winsock2 corruption for Windows Vista users(Holds good for Windows 7)

3.      For your third question: Yes the command will reset both Winsock and Winsock2

4.         Here is the location of the registry of Winsock and Winsock2:

Important: The instructions below contain steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information view the article: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

5.      Resetting will delete the Winsock and recreates, which actually is reinstalling it completely.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was told my winsock was bad by Mozy support. I found this post looking for a method to repair it.

You refer to the Vista section as the same as Windows 7 in 811259. 

I did a "netsh winsock reset" and it said it worked.

I checked using the 811259 procedure and under the Protocol in the referenced KB article,   I have the first 8 of the headings but none of the ones referencing "netbios".  Is this OK?

Both my Windows 7 systems display the same under Protocol.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you looking at step #3 of Manual steps to determine whether the Winsock2 key is corrupted for Windows Vista users ?

If so, what you see is probably OK.  My 64-bit Windows 7 system doesn't have the MSAFD NetBIOS entries, either.  My 32-bit Windows 7 system does.

Note that the KB article doesn't apply to Windows 7.

Boulder Computer Maven
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Steve Winograd

Sorry this didn't help.

Just wanted to note that my winsock become corrupted and prevented any connection to a network source.  Not sure how this happened as I am free of trojans and virii but anyway, I ran thenetsh winsock reset command on my Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and after it finished and I restarted everything functioned perfectly as before the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is SO frustrating in these replies from Windows "experts" when the question is clearly asked IN THE CONTEXT OF WINDOWS 7 to be referred to help articles THAT ARE NOT FOR WINDOWS 7!!! Banging my head against the wall here.

43 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My kind Sir , hard  h eaded newbies such as i are a bane  I know . But  we need your help and , hope that your good humor returns .

I also have four entries on a high jack this log .Nothing I have tried from the web has worked . May I please intrude on your services in this regard? 

May we start  from the begining ??  Any help , I would be greatful  

Dewey C Chapman

Sorry this didn't help.

Most important sentence of Samhrutha G post: "The steps are the same for Windows 7"

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, i have windows 7 ultimate and it is partitioned with my OSX on my macbook pro, I too have an issue with the Winsock corruption. It tells me that the registry keys are gone and now i cannot connect to any network application, i can however, connect to WiFi. I have followed the steps above, and even done the fix-it option that supposedly does it for you. No luck. I have run it throught the command prompt, (it being the commands) yet to my immense displeasure, the winsock issue is being very obstanent despite the command saying it was successful, when i reboot, it says cannot connect to the web or any network applications. so i have finally returned to the forums. i have no backup for this, as i have already filled around 15Tb full of data on my external hard drives and do not want to buy a new 2TB drive for my windows partition. this computer is for work and and for school, i hope you all can help

Sorry this didn't help.

My major issue was due to a trojan that was infecting my system and i believe ad-aware may have been partly to blame as well. these are the steps i used;

1) used rkill from cmd prompt to stop all running services

2) used tdsskiller to remove and repair system

3) used malwarebytes to remove additional virus traces

4) used norton antivirus just as a precautionary measure to make sure nothing was left!

i wasnt able to repair my winsock using the methods from the service rep because of the virus that i had. hope this helps, and be prepared for a lot of system restarts!! i sis all the above steps logged in through safemode with networking. and used advice from forums on each software services web page.

william

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.......definitely malware that breaks the Winsock and sometimes the firewall, leaving no ability to update windows either, as it halts the Windows Update service and prevents it from being started.  
Malwarebytes removed 26 infections
Nasty bugger!

Sorry this didn't help.