Resetting win 10 pc for another user

Hi

I have an second PC that initially ran win 7. I was able to update to win 10 under the legacy offer. I want to gift it to my son but when I looked into reset options whereby I use a media create tool, it asks for a password. Will my original win 7 password be accepted?

If I use the alternative reset option that doesn't need the create tool, will it remove all the previously installed window= apps? I would be happy to give him the PC as is (I've deleted any personal files) but don't know how to remove my windows administrators account so that he can take over and set up his own.

Advice would be most welcome

Thank you

Answer
Answer
Hi, I'm Anvar, a Windows Independent Adviser and a fellow Microsoft customer. I'd be glad to help you today

The media creation tool option can be used to remove just the personal files and keep all apps installed, it may ask admin password for running the tool if the current used is not having admin rights, in that case you can use your current windows 10 admin password

Windows 10 built in reset option having 2 options, one can keep your personal files and other will remove everything including installed applications

remove everything option is suggested if you are gifting the computer to someone so that they can set it up as new with that person's account

Hope this helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
There are three options that allow you to reset your PC. If you’ve tried just about everything else and your PC still isn't running well, resetting it might fix the problem.
Option 1
Open Recovery settings or select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & Security Circular arrows Sync icon > Recovery.
Under Reset this PC, select Get started.
Option 2
Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power Circle with line Power icon icon > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen.
After your computer restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
Option 3
Select Start Windows logo Start button, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power Circle with line Power icon icon > Restart to restart your computer into Recovery Mode.
After your computer restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
Any of these three options will get you started, but once you're in the process, follow the steps as they are presented to you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2024 Views 1,510 Applies to: