Reset without recovery key

I have a surface pro 8. It was unused for a couple of months and ive forgotten my pin and my password. When i try to reset my password it tells me "this requires outside media" so i did what it told me to on some forum and it said i needed the bitlocker recovery key. 

1. I dont ever remember getting a bitlocker recovery key

2. I dont remember what email i used to set up the laptop

Ive tried the factory reset without recovery key and that didnt work

Ive tried everyrhing i could possibly find on the forum i just want to get into my laptop. I dont care if i have to fully reset it please just help me

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William, I’m an Independent Advisor. I'll be happy to help you out today.

You can usually locate your Bitlocker key in your Microsoft account. See this Microsoft guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/453047...

Alternatively, if you just want to reinstall the OS, then create Windows 10 boot media. To create Windows 10 installation boot media, see this Microsoft article: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo.... You will need a USB drive with at least 8 GBs free space. Once the USB device is ready, see this MS KB on how to boot a Surface from USB drive: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/boo...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to do the second option multiple times and it still hasnt worked, i already said i have no way to get the Bitlocker key because i dont know the email that was used to set up the surface. please get back asap, thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To reinstall the OS, you do not need the recovery key. As long as you are booting from the USB media, the local storage encryption is bypassed and removed once the setup process starts. If this is not working for you, then try to get directly into the UEFI settings by holding down the power button + volume up > go to Boot configuration > move USB Storage to the top > Restart with the USB media plugged in.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"... turned it on while holding down Volume down, and it just takes me to the login screen." To clarify, you need to keep the Power button pressed simultaneously with the volume up button, which is the first and second button, respectively, until you see the spinning dots.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I figured out the UEFI. I moved the usb storage to the top of boot configuration and when i restarted it went to the login screen. then i shut the computer down, unplugged and replugged in the USB with the MediaCreationTool20H2, pressed and held the volume up, and pressed the power button and it still took me directly to the login screen. What am i doing wrong?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then I can only assume there is an issue with the boot media. Either recreate it or use a different USB stick.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i also tried while holding both volume down and the power button and it still took me to the login screen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there anything else i can do? Maybe factory reset or something? i dont care about losing my stuff all the important stuff is backed up

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A reset requires being able to logon. Accessing the recovery environment, requires the bitlocker key. The only method available is to boot from Win10 boot media. I have done enough deployments in my time to know that some USB devices are "quirky" that they fail as boot media.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ive tried this method with 3 different USB sticks all having at least 8 gb of data, and i even ordered a brand new USB and used that one and every time i try to get it to boot up with the instructions given to me it just brings me back to the login screen. I dont even know whats supposed to happen after i boot it up with the usb. is there anything i can do to fix this? is there a specific type of USB that always works with the installation media?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2020 Views 182 Applies to: