Repairing Disk Errors

I upgraded to windows 8 an ever since I upgraded in October last year I have had this issue 3 times and i cant stand it anymore. Windows just freezes on me for some reason I dont know. I wait for it to respond but i end up noticing that it will never respond so i force a shutdown. when i start my pc again, it then says diagnosing your pc, it then restarts and then eventually says repairing disk errors. this may take over and hour. It never fixes the problem and it gives me options to restore or to refresh my pc. On attempting both options, they both fail, and I have to end up reinstalling windows on my pc. How many times do i have to keep doing this? If I cant fix it this time around, this will be the fourth time I reinstall windows. Ive looked over for a solution so many times and they all point to a clean install of windows. The diagnosis and the automatic repair seem useless because they never work. Is there a fix to this windows problem or not so that I just downgrade to windows 7 and cry over the $69 I just wasted and all the data ive lost? Or better still just switch to using a MAC. 

Hi,

It looks like computer freezes even after re-installing the operating system. I understand it must be difficult when things do not work as expected.

1.        What is the make and model of the computer?

2.       What type of re-installation have you performed? Is it a clean install by formatting the files in the hard drive?

3.       Do you get any error message when you boot the computer?

4.       Are you able to boot the computer to normal mode?

This issue normally occurs when there is a faulty hard drive, we need to try and repair the hard drive.

You may perform check disk and check if the issue persists.

a. Press Windows Key + C to open the Charms bar.

b. Now click Settings and then Settings.

c. Now click General and then click Restart Now under Advanced Startup.

d. Now Click Troubleshoot.

e. Now click advanced options and select Command Prompt.

f. Type Chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information helps. Provide more information regarding the issue so that we could help you further.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a Dell Latitude e6410. I have reinstalled by downloading the windows 8 installer from Microsoft and then enter a product key I purchased. I do not use a disc or an iso to install. Also, I cannot boot my PC at all. It tries to boot, shows the windows logo, hangs for a while, reboots itself and then says something like the PC failed to startup. It then gives me a sky blue screen with options to continue to windows 8, restore or refresh my pc. I chose to refresh, and it said that refreshing failed. I tried restoring, and it failed again and returned to the same screen. I forced a restart and then it said "diagnosing your PC". It then rebooted after diagnosing and said checking disc for errors (I'm assuming this is the chkdisk operation you're talking about). After that, it then restarts and says "Repairing disk errors, this may take over an hour" It got stuck at 35% for like 30 minutes and it was late at night so I went to sleep. I woke up in the morning and it had managed to start, but there was an old lock screen I had about two weeks ago. I also had an old desktop wallpaper. It was almost as if my PC was restored to two weeks ago. My PC worked fine for a few hours but the freezing problem started again. I have to force restart every now and then. My battery also lasts much less than it used to with Windows 7, and my laptop overheats. I thought this was a driver issue but I just reinstalled all the drivers from my drivers and utilities disk I got from Dell when I purchased my computer. Another problem is that when I switch between apps, there is some kind of ghosting effecting from the previous app, but It disappears when I resize the window or just move my mouse around.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

It seems like faulty hardware issue. I would suggest you to contact Dell support for further assistance.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_us?DoNotRedirect=y

Hope this information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this problem with a new Acer laptop with Win 8 original install.  To be fair, Microsoft, you guys really do appear to be past your own ability to produce operating product anymore.  Our office has had, over the past few years, something like 8-10 laptops of all makes, 3-5 towers the same, with OS from Win 95 and 98 SE, to Windows XP, Vista, Win 7 and now 8, and all your products except 95, 98 and XP fail and crash after about 6- 8 months, generally requiring total rebuilds only to last about 3 months before trashing them.

The engineer in this thread might perceive the problem to be the upgrade to Win 8 on the laptop, but the issue the customer points to is mine, that it is the Win 8 product that freezes for no known reason or identifiable event, then cannot recover or be released to the user so you are left to hard kill the machine.  Because Windows no longer likes that, it forces diagnostics, which in this case never resolve or end.  16 hours in the making, and the recovery is still just flipping message screens and looping around in an endless fashion or simply restarts.  Safe Mode cannot seem to be evoke, and at $648...it makes my time simply to reboot a machine, higher than the price of a new one, the 4-6 hours set-up, plus 4 hours for Office Pro and all the other programs, ulitlities, business certificates etc.

It pathetic!!!  Here's a thought for you guys, since you write the code, and know what should be there....create a mirror that can compare in a flash, determine the source code less alterations, adds and updates is NOT intact and replace it.  It would take sooooo much less time and save customers, becasue we've had it too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are posting to a user group, not MS.

For what its worth we have a number of systems running both win7 and Win8 the oldest win7 PC's have run 24/7 for the last 3 years and have never required rebuilding, or repairing. The PC's run business software including MS Office only.

I also look after the granddaughters laptop (win7) that too has operated without problem for about 3 years, she once had a minor malware infection, but that's it.

So if your systems require rebuilding every xx months either its the users, the actual hardware, or the third party software being used

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should get the Windows 7.It can run 24/7

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Being the engineering and previously in the windows system administration field, There are rarlely issues that are caused by Microsoft related software that cant be repaired. Windows 8 compatibility with components included with all windows logoed products is outstanding. Incase you don't realize, in order to have a Windows Logo stamp from an OEM provider the system is put though a testing prodcedure to judge and approve the operating systems compatibility in the hardware configuration that the computer is manufactured in.

All drivers are tested and certified to perform efficiently and correctly with each hardware component.

Your system or computer has a warranty from the manufacturer of the product. Microsoft will still help you to determine the issue if it is within a time period of the product first being sold. (Microsoft provides different warranty periods for software related issues and are not the same for each Operating system version. )

This is most likely a software manufacturer issue (OEM Software included and preinstalled on the computer purchased) or physical hard disk issue.

You have to remember, the apito BIOS utility is customized under agreement and a royalty fee is probably paid for each sysem sold.

There is allways more data that is necessary to determine failures in a off the shelf product you purchase. It is the manufactuers responsibility to provide Microsoft with support and kept up to date for any issues that are displayed in the product after its initial production. It is up to the hardware manufactures to produce a product (each physical component in the system ) that has a low failure rate.

It is up to the computer manufacturer to communicate with there hardware providers ( either the actual hardware manufacturer ex. Seagate, or a provider that is certified to buy shipments directly from Seagate)

We could go around and around this list, the result is, your computer has a warranty. It is impossible not to have failures in production. A failure rate of 2 percent in a complete configuration is outstanding, but when mas produced.... This could be 200,000 systems or computers contain 20 different components made by all different manufactures or companies.

In the real world you are small and have bad luck. If it happens with in the specified warranty period you are allways able to resolve it.  ( even if finding a solution takes way to long to resolve )

If you are around or within a manufacture warranty period always contact them first. Some are better than others, this is for you to research when choosing the computer you by. ( the support and reliability of that company selling or manufacturing that product )

Thanks,

Justin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same problem but mine load when it gets to 62% its say repairing disc error it has been on for about 3 hours please help

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2023 Views 15,967 Applies to: