Removing second account on login screen

I was tired of using a pin to log in, so I looked up ways to change it. The first thing that came up was using netplwiz, so I did that and restarted my computer. Now on startup when it goes to log in, it says I have the wrong password/username or fails to log in and to try again. I click okay and it shows a duped account with no picture and my actual account with a picture that I can still sign into with my pin. I'd just like help removing the duplicated account and get it back to where I can just sign in using my pin instead of having to click okay to get out of my computer trying to sign into the duped account, then clicking my actual account and entering my pin number.

CREATE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System>>System Protection

Also make sure system restore points are on, as Windows 10 has been disabling them for auto restore points.

Is that a duplicate account from an update or upgrade that was left over. Looks like it is. Bad corrupt install of the update. And the fact that it looks like you are signing in PC with your Microsoft Account.

You might have to change to signing in with a local account and restart PC.

>>Then remove your Microsoft account in

Settings>>Accounts>>Email & app accounts<< LAST RESORT.

You probably can just leave email account on PC and just sign in with local account.

Then sign in to your Microsoft account online at

http://account.microsoft.com

and in devices, remove your PC from your account.

Now you might not have to do anything mentioned above. But it appears there is system file corruption.

Try this first. Be careful.

I would try and remove that DEAD DUPLICATE user account from the computer.

So sign in to account you can sign in with

in Cortana type in >> netplwiz

and select it from the list

Now go to C:\Users

And see if there is 2 user folders. One in your name and another of a copy of it or renamed to something else

Exclude or ignore Public as it is a system shared location.

Look in both folders for you personal files. Copy them to a new created folder in

C:\

or

C:\Users\Public.

Just in case.

Now look here

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System>>Advanced system settings

To give you an idea of which of the 2 accounts is the good one. Look at the size and date of each one.

You can delete the profile here or

Back in netplwiz, be careful if it shows the good and bad account as duplicates.

Delete the bad account

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Then when you get it fixed, Restart PC, add your Microsoft email account back in if you removed it, restart PC and go back and select to sign into PC with Microsoft account.

Restart PC.

Go online to your account and add your PC back in devices, OR

You can select in

Settings>>Accounts>>Sync

and make sync selections.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now you might not have to do anything mentioned above. But it appears there is system file corruption.

Try this first. Be careful.

I would try and remove that DEAD DUPLICATE user account from the computer.

So sign in to account you can sign in with

in Cortana type in >> netplwiz

and select it from the list

Now go to C:\Users

And see if there is 2 user folders. One in your name and another of a copy of it or renamed to something else

Exclude or ignore Public as it is a system shared location.

Look in both folders for you personal files. Copy them to a new created folder in

C:\

or

C:\Users\Public.

Just in case.

Now look here

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System>>Advanced system settings

To give you an idea of which of the 2 accounts is the good one. Look at the size and date of each one.

You can delete the profile here or

Back in netplwiz, be careful if it shows the good and bad account as duplicates.

Delete the bad account

I tried following your second suggestion, but I couldn't find a duplicate folder in my user account folder or in control panel settings. This only happened after I opened netplwiz and tried to change my account settings to remove putting in a password when logging in. 

Here are the instructions I followed when trying to change my settings, the duped account only showed up after I did this and restarted my pc.

First, click the Windows 10 Start Menu and type Netplwiz. Select the program that appears with the same name.

This window gives you access to Windows user accounts and many password controls. Right at the top is a checkmark next to the option labeled Users must enter a username and password to use this computer.” Uncheck that.

Removing your password really is as easy as unchecking one little box. 

When you click Apply it will prompt you for your current password. Enter it twice and you’re finished. The next time you reboot, or your PC wakes up from a nap, you’ll no longer need to type in your password.

To make this change you’ll need to type in your administrator’s password one last time. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How does passwords equate in this thread ????

I am well aware of not using a password. I understand that without using one, then it will sign in automatically.

The issue you had was 2 duplicate accounts and one on the sign in screen was corrupt and you could not sign in. So I assumed you wanted the DUPED one to disappear from sign in screen. And I assumed the other account on the sign in screen worked as you are on it now communicating.

Anyways, if that is all you needed or a mis communication. I am happy you got it all fixed bypassing the sign in screen and with no password.

Personally, I would never not have a password.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 8,781 Applies to: