Remove Windows Security Shield Alert In Notification Area

The Red Security Alert Shield has been in the notification area intermittently for a couple of weeks saying that my anti-virus programs are turned off, even though I've updated them & have done scans almost daily.  I use both MSE & Malwarebytes Pro.  The red shield used to disappear occasionally during an update or scan, but would re-appear later--usually by the next day. I once ran an Windows XP disk check (http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html) and the shield disappeared for 4 days.  Lately it's been there all the time & the anti-virus updates & scans do not cause it to disappear. Other than that I haven't used or ran any special apps or programs. I have Windows XP Pro 32 bit SP3. The shield's comings & goings have seemed random, except that now it's there all the time. I'd like to know what the problem is & how to remove it.  

Hi ate2zee2,

You want to remove the Windows Security Shield Alert in the notification area.

Follow these steps.

1.Open the control panel, and choose "Security Center".

2.On the left-hand side, select "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

3.In Windows XP, clear the check boxes, and click "OK" Close the control panel and restart the computer.

Follow the steps and let us know the status for further help.

Thanks.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Clearing the check boxes would erase the red security shield, but I would no longer be alerted if the anti-virus or firewall were actually turned off. I do want to be alerted if there is a legitimate reason, Shortly after I posted my question yesterday, the red shield disappeared again & so far it hasn't returned. This pattern of the shield appearing & disappearing in a seemingly random way is the problem I'd like to fix. I'm assuming that the shield will re-appear as it has for the last couple of weeks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have waited this issue out for nearly a month. When it first appeared (the Red Shield my McAfee antivirus would attempt to update, even though it had been as I have those type of tasks set to do automatically. It became a big problem which led me to contact McAfee Tech Support.  The used GoToAssist and removed the entire McAfee program.  However once they tried to re-install McAfee it became aware to them that IE ver 8 was corrupted and needed to be uninstalled then reinstalled before they could reinstall McAfee.  Leaving me on my own to complete that task before calling them back.  I did a bit of research at the time and it seemed as if the entire mess was a virus or trojan that had infected my system. I seemed to have been successful following these instructions, however I would like to know if it is or was a virus and can I uninstall Internet Explorer with out deleting any files needed for other programs?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In my case, in order to get rid of the red shield security alert, I ended up following a work around remedy that I found on the community forum . It's not a fix, but it worked for me. Whenever the red shield alert returns, I repeat the work around. I read somewhere that the appearance of the red shield can be a glitch associated with Windows XP. The work around is to open Microsoft Security Essentials,, turn off the Real Time Protection & save the change. Then go back in & turn Real Time Protection back on & save the change.  The explanation is that the red shield appears because of a problem with Windows not connecting with Microsoft Security Essentials. The work around re-establishes contact which causes the red shield to disappear. Another method of removing the red shield  is to update Microsoft Security Essentials, even if it doesn't need updating.  Initially I thought the appearance of the red shield might be related to a virus, but it didn't seem to be. Later the hard drive on my laptop died and I now have a different laptop that also has Windows XP on it. I have the same thing happening on this laptop with the red shield appearing from time to time. I use the work around or I update Microsoft Security Essentials & the red shield is gone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2024 Views 2,228 Applies to: