Remote Desktop black screen

After installing update 1903 on second computer I get a black screen when remote desktop connects. Tried rolling back video driver which took me back to a Microsoft basic driver from 2006 but only offers 1024x768 for best setting. This causes programs to be so large you can see everything. Both computers are running update 1903. With the old graphic driver I don't get black screen.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Good day ! I am an independent adviser here to help you!

Sounds like you already diagnosed the issue. The graphics driver isn't compatible with what you are doing.

We have cases here when remoting into a machine black screens it, but when we stop the session, it goes back to normal. Is this the case with you ?
Patience is a virtue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It logs in but get the black screen with only the pointer showing. I tried unchecking the persistent bitmap caching but still didn't help. This was suggested online. The remote computer graphics work fine when not connected with remote desktop. The driver that was installed when Windows 10 1903 was installed is the one not working with remote desktop. The old Microsoft basic graphic driver just made it impossible to use although it did work with remote desktop. Haven't found any other driver to use as of now. It is an older Dell Studio 17 and Dell doesn't list a graphic driver for it. I am still trying to see if I can find one though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to clarify, after you are done remoting in, the desktop goes back to normal and doesn't stay black? To me, this sounds normal and is how it usually behaves when remoting in, in order to make it easier to see everything.
Patience is a virtue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I guess I didn't explain it correctly. What I see on my computer when I remote into the other computer has just a black screen with the pointer showing. I am connected to the remote computer and have the remote desktop bar at the top. When I click on the X it say this will end your session like it should. I found an original driver for the Dell installed it and still just see a black screen on my end. There most likely is an issue with remote desktop in the 1903 OS. I guess we will have to just wait for Microsoft to fix it. I use TeamViewer also when I can't connect with remote desktop and that works fine.

This is what I get just black even though logged in on other computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, i gotcha now. Id go ahead and maybe try to make sure both PCs have all updates possible to their windows.
Patience is a virtue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both machines are completely updated. That's why this is such a pain trying to find the answer. I don't have a problem using remote desktop from this machine on a 1809 but the problem is trying to remote to another 1903 machine. Seen a few posts on the web where others have the same issue. I appreciate all the suggestions but have tried everything I have seen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It may be a bug with 1903 if it's happening to many people. This may be a wait and see situation. Can your other PC remote to you actually?
Patience is a virtue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't try that because I don't allow any remote connections to my computer. I am retired and just help friends and family with there computers remotely so have sensitive info for them on my computer. The issue with using TeamViewer is if you use it too much they block you saying you are using it as a business even though you aren't. Had this happen and had to figure a way to work around it. I will just use TeamViewer until Microsoft fixes the issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have my daughter's laptop and a tower here but they haven't updated to 1903 yet. Once they do I will play with it more to see if the issue still happens. Do a search online and see others having the same issue with 1903.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems like a Microsoft bug, I think its too new to have a fix yet.
Patience is a virtue

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2020 Views 15,442 Applies to: