Redact black & white PNG image in Paint 3D, saved file is 250% bigger

I scanned a document page in 200 dpi Black and White, then saved it as PNG. It was 120KB. I used Paint 3D to draw a few small black rectangles over personal details, then saved it as PNG. The result was 280KB. I did not have the options of specifying black and white.

Is there another way to perform simple redaction on a PNG image without grossly inflating the size of the file?

Hello how are you? My name is Marcelo C., I am an independent consultant, I am here to help you in the best possible way.

Unfortunately, no other methods like photoshot or paint will result in the same result because the size that increased was the amount of more characters that the image has, especially if it is such a small file any change will be noticeable.

What you can do is try to compress the file after it's done, but this may result in a decrease in resolution.

I hope the information above helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Have a nice day and stay safe.

Marcelo de C.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think it's a fundamental limitation. Turning portions of the pixel array into uniform black should allow for smaller PNG files because the squares are all uniform black rather than a mixture of black and white, i.e., there is more entropy, and run-length encoding should be more efficient. This is specifically a fault of Paint 3D.

AFTERNOTE: My reference to run length encoding was overly simplistic, I found out afterward by googling.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

in reality when you add text to the image you are adding another element and not transforming the existing one. Think of it as layered, there's the photo itself and what you're writing is another layer on top of that photo.

Have you ever tried to do this in another program?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Adding a few small black boxes shouldn't amplify the size by 250%, even if multiple layers are maintained. But I've never heard of PNG maintaining multiple layers other than colour planes and a transparency "alpha" channel. Are you certain that your explanation applies?

I tried "Paint", but it has no redaction feature like drawing obfuscating rectangles. I do not want to do this in Powerpoint and save back to PNG because it tends to inflate image file sizes grossly in addition to blurring the image. As far as I know, neither tool allows the specification of black-and-white image files.

P.S. The very question is about what program will do the job without gross inflation of file size (and I should add here, losslessly)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If there is a program that does this without increasing the file size too much, I unfortunately do not know, ovu release your question so that another expert can have some idea of ​​how to get around this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I fear that it may require some less mainstream and harder-to-use programs like GIMP. You basically have to become an expert to redact black-and-white scans.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2021 Views 1,472 Applies to: