Recurrent stutters in games caused by Diagnostics Policy Service

Hi,

I'd like to report an issue I have been experiencing since early Windows 10 Insider builds (if I remember correctly). At the start of every minute, games stutter for about half a second. The stuttering is literally happening exactly every minute. Sometimes the stutters are barely noticeably and sometimes they are lasting for more than half a second which is extremely distracting.

I found out that the System Resource Usage Monitor (SRUM) of Diagnostics Policy Service is the cause, more specifically the Energy Estimation Provider (eeprov.dll). It seems to collect stats about energy consumption in the background. Stopping the DPS service or just deleting the entry for eeprov.dll at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SRUM\Extensions\{97C2CE28-A37B-4920-B1E9-8B76CD341EC5} fixes the stuttering.

My system:

Windows 10 Pro x64 1511

Packard Bell EasyNote TK 85

Intel Core i5-460M

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, using latest display driver 359.00

6 GB DDR3 memory

SSD system drive

I discovered that the stuttering only happens when games are running with the dedicated NVIDIA graphics adapter. The stutters disappear if I switch to the Intel graphics driver. I am not sure who's to blame, SRUM or the NVIDIA driver, but thought I'll report the issue here in any case.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Not to worry, we’re here to help you out.

I suggest you to check and install all latest drivers (especially NVIDIA graphics adapter) for Windows 10 from manufacturer's website and check if it help.

If the driver for Windows 10 is unavailable, you may try installing the latest driver in compatibility mode.

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow the below steps:

1. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.
  2. Select Compatibility tab.
  3. Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select previous the version of Windows from the drop down list.
  4. Let the driver install and then check the functionality. 

Also, see: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thanks & regards,

Abdul Malik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Abdul,

thanks for your response. But as I have already written in my first post, it's the latest graphics driver from NVIDIA that I'm running. All other drivers should be up-to-date, too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

- With laptops the best driver is from the mfg of the laptop. The Nvidia 'reference' driver from the Nvidia site

is not always fully compatible with laptops (as they point out on the download page) due to the way the

laptop mfg's implement the gpu into the machines design.

In this instance it may have to do with the way the mfg has implement the suspect Service ?

In the case of a 540M I expect the mfg may not have a Win10 specific driver, but you may find  their

most recent driver is still the best option for your machine.

I've never used a laptop and assume that Energy Estimation Provider is beneficial when running on battery,

but stopping the Service while gaming (tedious I know) may be all you can do.

It may also  be possible to create a 'batch file' to start and stop the service (something else I can't help with) ?

- Games have been pretty much the same on Win10 as they were on Win7 with my GTX770 using 64bit Home version .

- Nice troubleshooting prior to posting, btw ....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Abdul, I'd appreciate it if you could share this issue with the responsible team so they are aware of it. I myself have found an acceptable workaround (disable eeprov.dll) but this is not something the average user should be required to do.

Thanks!

@BossDweebe: If I were to only install drivers from the manufacturer, I'd be stuck on Windows 7 with an NVIDIA driver from March 2012. I guess it would solve this specific problem, but...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Appreciate the steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

Feel free to post if you have any further query on Windows.

We are happy to assist you.

Thanks & regards,

Abdul Malik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2023 Views 1,593 Applies to: