Recieved S.M.A.R.T Error 303, but HDD runs fine.

Hello

Recently I decided to run a diagnostic on my HP from the BIOS. I ran the S.M.A.R.T test, and it gave the '303' error. HP's support says that it means 'Imminent failure and loss of data', but my computer appears to be running fine, and I have expierienced few system freezes (I get one every once in a while). I have had this computer for just a little over a year and don't understand how the HDD could already be failing. Is my HDD really failing? Or is this just a glitch, or a problem that could be easily fixed?

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 15,007 Applies to:
Answer
I'd believe it if I were you.  Immediately back up the disk using an imaging/cloning program.

SMART attempts to predict failure, not to announce that your disk has already failed.  Modern hard drives are able to automatically deal with some hardware errors, but one of the things that SMART checks is whether too many of such errors have occurred.  Sooner or later -- and probably sooner -- the disk is likely it irreversibly fail.  Once that happens, your data is lost unless you have a backup.

Have you read this HP article --> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443502&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N147  Again, back up the disk BEFORE you run the diagnostic test again.

If you have a Western Digital drive, you can get a version of Acronis True Image free from WD (http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119) or you can obtain cloning software separately (this is not a comprehensive list and is no particular order; some are free, others not):

Acronis True Image Home
Easeus ToDo Backup
Paragon Drive Copy  or Partition Manager Personal
Casper
Norton Ghost

XXClone

Macrium Reflect Free

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.