“Reboot and select proper boot device” after windows crash. Nothing working.

Hi,

I’ve had my Skytech Archangle PC for 5 months. It came preinstalled with windows 10 and everything has been working perfectly until today. I woke up my computer, it froze on the log in screen, then I got the BSOD with an error message. I turned off my pc because i thought i could just restart it. Probably a bad idea. It might’ve affected it like a powersurge problem when Windows was trying to do something. Not sure. 

Here’s what I’ve tried so far during this long and frustrating day with no changes:

When I turned it back on I got the “reboot and select proper boot device” black screen. I went into my UEFI menu by pushing F2 at restart. I have the ASRock menu if that helps. It’s only registering one boot option #1 called “AHCI SATAFIRM S11” which im guessing is my only SSD. I set it as that and tried again. Nothing. I chose “Load UEFI Defaults”. Nothing. I noticed many other people who had this problem had a “windows boot manager” option to select. I do not. I can’t even find a blank option, which some have said that is their windows boot manager. Still only have my AHCI option, or the option to disable it. I checked the SATA cord connections and tried plugging it into another SATA port. Nothing. 

Then I created a Windows media tool on my usb hardrive. Plugged that in and I got the option to repair my computer or install Windows. When trying the “startup repair” option, it either says it cant repair or it gets stuck for hours on a spinning wheel and says “attempting repairs”. I’ve tried the command prompt and typing in the fixboot commands among others. Nothing. Some say “access denied” or “failed to execute”. Ive clicked “system restore” but there seems to be no windows os to choose from. Ive tried just straight up installing it again and it freezes every time. 

It’s almost like windows just disappeared from my computer or my SSD died. If it died, i feel like that’s just crazy af because I’ve had it for 5 months. It’s also regestering in the boot menu. Im hoping not to do a clean install because I want to try and save files. I even tried the notepad.exe trick in the command prompt and there werent any files in any folders. 

Any thoughts would be great. Taking it into a repair shop probably, but again I feel like thats just ridiculous for it being on the new side. Wondering if there are any other work arounds to see if I can get Windows to boot.

Thanks. 

hey, i have the same problem and ive been panicking the entire day. did you find a way to fix it ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey I was wondering if you got this fixed having the same problems just wondering what to do. Reply if you can thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Experiencing the exact same issue here with my 6 month old Skytech Archangel. Seems like the SSD randomly died without warning.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I took it in to a computer repair shop and they couldn't find Windows on my SSD either. They tried saving my files but couldn't sadly. I had to buy a new SSD (I got a Samsung one because I'm not trusting whatever the heck came with my computer) and install it. It was about $100 for a new one. I created a copy of Windows from my bf's computer and reinstalled it. It's been working perfectly fine now. I think the original SSD just fried, no idea why. Sucks but I did get it up and running again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yup. It seems like a lot of people with this computer are experiencing the same thing. Maybe they are putting faulty SSD's in them. I contacted customer service and they said they could replace my computer, but I knew it was the SSD so I ended up just buying a new one for around $100. I would just do that, it sucks because the computer was already expensive and should come with working parts. I created a copy of Windows from my bf's computer and reinstalled it to the new Samsung SSD. It's been working perfectly fine now.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update and glad you were able to resolve the problem on your end. I tried the same solution (purchased and installed a new SSD today) but could not install Windows 10 on it despite trying a bunch of solutions that worked for others. Looks like I'll have to contact SkyTech Gaming support and have them replace this computer as the issue here seems to extend beyond a dead SSD.

Edit: The issue was indeed a dead SSD combined with a faulty Windows 10 USB installation, same as the OP. Once I was able to create a proper OS installer on the USB drive and replaced my SSD the issue was resolved.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi , i got a new ssd and it’s been working perfectly fine. i appreciate the response :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 4,488 Applies to: