rdr_file_system 0x27 BSOD After Windows 10 2004 update, but only on domain profiles

Good morning, I am having an issue on some PCs recently after some PCs received the Windows 10 2004 build update. After receiving said update, the machines will BSOD with a 0x027 error code when logging into a domain profile while connected to the network.

If I remove the network cable from the PC and log into a domain account that was cached on the machine before the update, it will log in without issues and then I can connect it to the network and it seems to resume function. I can also sign into a local account on the machine, with and without network connectivity. 

I used Bluescreen View to look at the dumps which seem to be showing rdbss.sys and mrxsmb20.sys as drivers that are causing the issue. I have tried updating network drivers etc from the vendors websites and not relying on Windows to, but am still having the issue.

The other bizarre thing is if the PC crashes 3 times, boots into the recovery mode to try and repair your PC and I restart it, it will then log in once to a domain account and seem to be functioning, however if the PC is restarted it will BSOD on log in.

Has anyone seen or heard of any issues like this since this update? Could it be something out dated on the server that is causing the issue to happen to the machines on the newer OS? I can't help but feel like it has something to do with folder redirection and that is why cached accounts will work with no network connection however I am stumped how to get around this other than not updating every other machine, and rolling back if possible (I had a PC that was upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and went straight to the 2004 build and BSOD'd, I tried to roll back to Win7 and system will not boot at the moment saying it is missing system files etc.).

I have some mini dumps I can share if that would help as I would like to get to the bottom of this if possible.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I installed the then current build of 20H2 back in August; it definitely did NOT fix the problem. I’m still running 1909 with newer Feature Updates blocked. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I concur the 20H2 did not resolve the issue

Sorry this didn't help.

So far for me the easiest workaround has been to keep offline folders and folder redirection enabled but to exclude users with Windows 10 2004 builds from mapping a driveletter to their homedrive / homefolder

I use Group Policy Preferences for drivemappings and have enabled item level targeting for this.

It only maps a drive letter if:

The string registry value at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentBuildNumber does not exist or does not have a value data 19041

• Since Folder redirection and offline files still works, users can still access their redirected folders either directly in Explorer (Documents is for example mapped to \\server\share\%username%\Documents)
  • They can access their homedrive root via UNC path: \\server\share\%username%. A simple shortcut to that will suffice.

For my users the negative impact of not being able to access their homefolder via driveletter is relatively low and it's easy to implement and rollback. The same could be done with a logonscript.

Perhaps once you would need to reset the CSC cache for users that are already affected and get BSOD at logon (like I have)

Alternatively try having them log on "offline", then connect to network, remove driveletter/disconnect drive and run gpupdate /force. Logoff and back on.

Sorry this didn't help.

did MS acknowledge the problem (bug)? because i dont see any reply from microsoft tech team!!?

Sorry this didn't help.

Several of my clients are having this issue I knew it's to do with folder redirection as logging into local profiles wouldn't cause this. this is frustrating a ton of people. Hope MS gets their act together and releases a hot fix ASAP. 

Sorry this didn't help.

This happened to us on 3 computers and was a major issue, as the users were offsite and could not login. We replaced two of the laptops with 1909 images and not 2004 and unapproved the 2004 Feature Update in WSUS. 

Sorry this didn't help.

We are in same boat and a fix to this issue would be VERY desirable. 

We've got around 120 laptops we're deploying for a few clients and all come with 2004 as a base load so we don't even have the option to roll back... 

It also looks real bad from client perspective to put all this cash into new laptops, we config and deliver them and they all start blue screening.. our only option is to show the client threads like this with everyone else complaining otherwise it make us look like a shitshow (Thanks MS).

Hoping an update to fix this comes in early October, seems like this has been an issue since June and 4mos with no fix is not acceptable. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have loaded the new build and sad to say issue is still there

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any reaction from Microsoft. We have a reproduceable bug in windows10 2004 in domain networks.

Even after a complete new install of a Notebook w/wo producer drivers we can 100% force the bsod if there are offline files active and there is no network connection to the domain network. I discovered:

1. If there is a Network connection to domain - works fine, no bsod
  2. Network connection to another network - user can login but after some seconds bsod
  3. No network connection: bsod immediately when loging in.

MS please solve this problem!

Sorry this didn't help.

So far the only option in my environment is to rollback to to 1909, but now after we rollback we are getting a DLL error with some applications including Adobe:

C:\windows\system32\msvcp140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Error status 0x000012f

has anyone gotten this? any suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2020 Views 12,755 Applies to: