Random Reboot + Blue Screen + 0xc00000e9

Yesterday afternoon, my HP G56 Notebook PC randomly rebooted. Everything just started shutting down out of the blue to restart. This was the second time this had happened, and I found this odd, because there was no restart prompt, as my computer was not scheduled to restart for updates until 3 a.m., and it would have let me know that the computer would restart. Just as the computer finished shutting off all the the programs that were running, I also got the Blue Screen of Death. After that point, when I tried to start it, after the HP logo shows, it goes to an all-black screen with a white cursor in the upper left corner, and nothing else. It would not boot, but stayed on that screen. The only buttons that work are Esc, F1, F2, and F10. F8 does NOT work, and I am unable to enter safe mode.

I ran the Hard Disk Test, and the results were this:

Testing Drive 1

SMART Check: PASSED

Short DST: PASSED

Long DST: PASSED

I went to look for my original packaging, but it did not come with a Windows 7 DVD, as it was already pre-installed with the computer. I used a system repair disc to attempt to boot the computer from the DVD, and while loading the files, but the second bar stopped about three-quarters of the way, and the following message appeared on the screen:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

So I thought I would try to obtain some expert advice. As I am not a computer person, I will not try to do anything on my own since I do not have any knowledge that would enable me to know what I am doing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The error message - An unexpected I/O error has occurred, Status: (0Xc00000e9) is a hardware error pertaining to your computer's BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive.

You may try startup repair. Startup Repair is designed to prevent a time-consuming reinstallation by diagnosing and repairing problems that prevent Windows from booting. Introduced in Windows Vista, Startup Repair is even easier to use because Windows 7 now installs it on your
hard drive for you.

Refer the links below for more details:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

You will not be able to perform repair install unless you have a DVD. If you get an option to perform "Repair your computer" when you press F8 then you can continue. If Windows Recovery Environment is not built into the computer, you wouldn't get the option to repair the computer.

I would also suggest you to update the BIOS. You must get in touch with the system manufacturer to update the BIOS.

Modifying BIOS settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You may also contact HP support here: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/home/

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

OK. I have been through this for 2 and a half years before "accidentally" solving the problem.

Did you do any hardware changes recently?

There seems to be a communication error between Hard Disk and system BIOS; possibly due to RAM. run RAM tests too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The error message - An unexpected I/O error has occurred, Status: (0Xc00000e9) is a hardware error pertaining to your computer's BIOS. Basically it is telling you that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard drive.

You may try startup repair. Startup Repair is designed to prevent a time-consuming reinstallation by diagnosing and repairing problems that prevent Windows from booting. Introduced in Windows Vista, Startup Repair is even easier to use because Windows 7 now installs it on your
hard drive for you.

Refer the links below for more details:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

You will not be able to perform repair install unless you have a DVD. If you get an option to perform "Repair your computer" when you press F8 then you can continue. If Windows Recovery Environment is not built into the computer, you wouldn't get the option to repair the computer.

I would also suggest you to update the BIOS. You must get in touch with the system manufacturer to update the BIOS.

Modifying BIOS settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

You may also contact HP support here: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/home/

Hope this helps.

I tried using system repair, but it I can't get to any options because the 0xc00000e9 message comes up before the files can load. F8 does not work. It stays on the black screen with blinking cursor. System recovery doesn't work, as it stays on the black screen with blinking cursor. Every diagnostic test that I've run has turned out fine, but I can't access anything on the computer. The only things that can be done on the computer are Esc, F1, F2, and F10. Nothing else. So it's going to require something external to the computer, such as a DVD, but the system repair disc can't get past 0xc00000e9 in order to load.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. I have been through this for 2 and a half years before "accidentally" solving the problem.

Did you do any hardware changes recently?

No, I have not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the HP system BIOS, run the memory test and run RAM tests. What is the configuration of your system? (i.e, Processor, RAM, etc)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the HP system BIOS, run the memory test and run RAM tests. What is the configuration of your system? (i.e, Processor, RAM, etc)

I've run the memory test on both F2 and F10, both of which passed.

BIOS on F10 the only diagnostics are the Primary Hard Disk Self Test and Memory Test, both of which passed. On the System Information on F2, HP Advanced System Diagnostics, the only tests are Start-Up Test, Run-In Test, System Tune-Up, Hard Disk Test, Memory Test, Battery Test. Anything that can't be accessed before boot up leaves me with a blank screen and blinking cursor.

From the system configuration info:

Model: HP G56 Notebook PC
Processor Type: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @2.20GHz
Processor Speed: 2200 MHz
Memory Size: 3072 MB RAM

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just ran the memory test again, and once again, it passed. Nothing's showing anything wrong until I try to use the system repair disc, which gives me the unexpected I/O error message. It's frustrating, because somehow it's passing all the tests, yet since the computer won't boot or progress past a black screen and blinking cursor, obviously something must be wrong.

Is it possible this may be the result of a virus or malware? Though I do have functioning anti-virus software, but I have to consider the possibilities.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar problem which seemed to take a turn after certain updates for me. I checked and found a new update for the chipset. Worth a shot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2021 Views 1,610 Applies to: