Quick Access WIN10 - 2004

I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 5770 to WIN10 - 2004 and everything is working sofar fine. I have only one problem. In the beginning, Quick Access was working fine. It stopped working after about 1 week. When I try to pin a folder to Quick Access I receive the following message: "A disk error occurred during a read operation".

Already tried Folder Options, unchecked recently used files and frequently used folders, restarted the PC, and check marked the Privacy Folder again but still the same problem.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

|
Hello GoKe1TK,

I am Vincent. An Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I’d be happy to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Kindly run through the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Press Windows Key then type CMD right click and run as administrator.
2. Copy and paste each command below, you need to do it one at a time until
finishes scanning.

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Quick note: While the command is running, it's expected to see the process stuck at 20 or 40 percent. After a few minutes, the process will complete successfully.

Once you complete the steps, the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool will connect to the Windows Update servers to download and replace any damaged files in the local image for Windows 10 as necessary.

Once done perform Clean Boot

This process will eliminate 3rd party application running in the background of your computer along with services that are not needed to run windows. If there's any conflicting 3rd party application that causes the issue on your computer, this process will stop it.

1. Open the run box by pressing the Windows Key + R and type msconfig
2. System Configuration Utility box will open and by default you are on general tab.
3. On the General tab, click the selective startup and make sure that load system service and load startup items both have checked mark.
4. Click on services tab
5. Put a check mark on Hide All Microsoft Services > This is a very important part as if you miss to click on this, computer might not boot properly or permanently and will end up on clean installation.
6. Once Hide all Microsoft Services have checked mark on it, click on Disable All
7. Click on the Startup Tab and click open task manager. This will open another window which contains all your startup applications on the administrator account.
8. Disable all application that you're not using. You can simply just click on them and select disable.
9. Click OK, Apply and close the configuration utility
10. Restart your pc and check how it goes

If still doesn't work, please try to Perform a System Restore. It lets you restore your Windows installation back to its last working state. Refer to this link: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

You can also refer to this link if the provided methods did not work for you.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Vincent Vismanos
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Vincent Vismanos,

Thank you for your reply. I did all the steps but still have the same problem. I guess I have to live with that or in free time I have to reinstall WIN10.

Kind regards

Gottfried Keller

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm not sure if you still have this problem but I had it too since the last update.

I fixed it by going to the folders below and clearing the contents of both of them, then restarting.

%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations

%AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations

Hope this works for you too!

Jarrad

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have yet to see a reply on these forums starting with an obvious corporate-looking script and "thank you" like the one from "independent advisor" above that would be anything but completely irrelevant abuse of the system, with the real potential to do harm because of all these unneeded recommendations. I wonder if they score some points with Microsoft this way, otherwise why would they do it.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm not sure if you still have this problem but I had it too since the last update.

I fixed it by going to the folders below and clearing the contents of both of them, then restarting.

Jarrad

Thanks.. This works!

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thank you this worked for me

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Jarrad

It also worked for me. Thanks v-e-r-y much!

Microsoft support representative told me to approach the hard drive manufacturer in order to check the disks after some failure trials he made on my computer

Good thing that I didn't listen to him.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Jarrad

Thank you very much, worked like a charm 🤩

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

JRad_diction 's answer can be seen from this link as well: https://www.****/threads/a-disk-error-during-a-read-operation-message-come-when-i-try-to-put-a-folder-in-quick-access.436529/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2021 Views 2,478 Applies to: