Program (Video Game) crashes to desktop on DX11 & DX12 Games (Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere)

Summary:

My computer keeps crashing to desktop on any newer games, and I just assumed it was a because the games were new and wouldn't play them for a time. It's been around a year and it's the same games, (Elden Ring, Warhammer III, Hogwart's Legacy, etc), same issue. I've been dreading the idea, that it's hardware related due to constantly citing "LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere, etc.," but I really don't have the ability to troubleshoot hardware (nor the money). Recently, I tried going after the issue again so I could play Baldur's Gate 3 (BG3) on release, and tried all sorts of things (I don't remember if I tried anything specifically, maybe ensure all my connections were secure in my PC) and it appeared to resolve at some point and has been good for around ~10 days, ran a bunch of 3dMark tests to confirm and BG3 EA and it worked (I did not test any other games I had issues at the time because I trusted the 3DMark tests). I was excited.

I ended up bugging the game when I alt-tabbed during a loading screen by accident, and had to force shut down my computer. From that point on, the issue has returned in full force. BG3 (DX11) will run for around ~20 minutes and then crash to desktop when I hit cutscenes, etc. When I initially entered trouble shooting mode, I ran DX11 benchmarks right away they were crashing. No DX12 benchmarks/games will run. I'm at my wit's end.

Errors Recieved:

• Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere (Images Details Below)

• DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Solutions Attempted:

• Verify Game File Integrity on Steam (Issue Persists)

• Disable Discord Overlays, etc. (Not even running) (Issue Persists)

• Disable Steam Overlay (Issue Persists)

• Disable GeForce Experience Overlay (Issue Persists)

• Reinstall GeForce Experience (Issue Persists)

• Reinstall the most recent NVIDIA Driver (Issue Persists)

• Ensure Windows is updated (including security) (Issue Persists)

• I haven't attempted any windows system/update reinstalls.

• Added (TdrLevel Solution) via Regedit (Issue Persists and my sessions now hang indefinitely forcing a restart)

• This is such a **** solution, to future readers, best of luck. Attached Tutorial Below.

• Ensured all my hardware connections are secure (Issue Persists)

Benchmarks Attempted After Solutions:

• Ran 3DMark Benchmarks & Anno 1800 Benchmark

• DX11 Tests

• [3DMark] Fire Strike (Ultra, Extreme, Standard) Passed

• Anno 1800 DX11 Passed

• DX12 tests failed.

• Anno 1800 DX12, Infrequent Crashes/Pass (Unexpected DirectX error occurred. LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere)

• [3DMark] Speedway, ran for around 23 seconds Crashed (LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere)

• [3DMark] Time Spy (Standard), Infrequent Crashes/Passes (LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere)

• Ran Diablo IV (DX12) on Ultra

• In the Past it has always ran fine, so that's why I used it to test. No previously noticed lag spikes.

• I was able to load in and play fine, but did notice lag spikes occasionally, but experienced no crashing.

• Attempted another DX12 Benchmark after Diablo IV

• [3dMark] Speedway, Instant Crash (LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere)

System Information:

• Version: 10.0.22621 Build 22621

• Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz, 3600 MHz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

• Baseboard: ASUS PRIME Z590-A

• GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3090 FE

• Driver Version: 536.67 (Release date 07/18/2023), Current)

• Notes: There is coil whine.

• RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4 x 8 GB) (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18W)

• Speed: 3600 MHz

• Note: I'm pretty sure I have XMP enabled. I haven't been into the BIOS in a minute.

• PSU: EVGA 850 GQ (850W) (210-GQ-0850-V1)

• Note: I have a new PSU on the way, hopefully, it's just an underpower issue. The new PSU is Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200 (1200W).

I'm open to just about anything that doesn't involve buying a new 3090 graphics card, but I may get a cheap one if it comes to that. If you do have a solution please provide instructions, I know a little, but my brain is the size of a peanut. I hoping this is a software related issue, but I can't think of how to resolve it without nuking my whole system to a Day 1 reset. Even then that may not resolve it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If I find a solution I will edit this post to have the solution in the post.

TdrLevel:

-----------------------------

Lowering Graphics setting doesn't change anything. If I see that on another "How to fix..." with it, I may scatter my brains out. Respectfully.

Hi Devon,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

The problem is definitely with your Nvidia graphics, try this, and if this does not succeed then it is time to get your graphics card tested for hardware issues.

Completely remove the current Nvidia device driver using the widely available free DDU utility, then restart your PC and go to the support page for your PC on the manufacturer's website to download and install their recommended version of the Nvidia device driver.

A slightly older version of that driver is more stable than the latest version, try installing a few slightly older versions of the Nvidia drivers to find a stable version.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply!

I ran throw your solution and was unable to pass any of the DX12 benchmarks with the NVIDIA drivers I downloaded. I tested the following drivers:

• 531.29 (March 14, 2023)

• 535.98 (May 30, 2023)

• 536.23 (June 14, 2023)

• 536.40 (June 29, 2023)

• 536.67 (July 18, 2023)

All with varying degrees of success, but ultimately failing the benchmark. Older drivers couldn't even load the benchmark and 536.## drivers would crash anywhere from 0:03 - 1:50 into the benchmark. Benchmark used:

• [3DMark] Speedway (DX12)

I've just scoured NVIDIA's forum and they have ...... little to nothing about LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere so my running hope is based of reddit comment saying that their PSU has seemed to fix the issue. I'm praying.

• https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/11fx2k0/comment/jukne5i/

Otherwise, do you have another software based solutions? If the only solutions are hardware, any advice how to start that process?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you cannot find any Nvidia driver that is stable, honestly, it is best to get a PC Shop to test your hardware on a bench.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 2,452 Applies to: