Prograde CF Express Type B Card reader issues SOLVED

Hi All,

This came up on a previous thread and I have got a solution that works and its a simple one.

Firstly some of the back story, ProGrade make fast memory cards for cameras, most popular are their SD and CF Express type B cards, they also sell a very good (well built and fast transfer speeds) card reader that does both types. The card reader works via USB-C.

Some users have had trouble getting the card reader and cards to come up in Win10. The reader doesn't show up when plugged into a USB 3.0 type A slot. I had this issue on my desktop and it wasn't/isn't the cards or the reader itself as I could read the cards on my laptop.

Problem was the cable.

I put a USB-C to USB-A cable into my desktop via the A slot, (the cable came with some headphones I think, it was just lying there. And nothing worked, nothing showed up either SD or CF Express..

I swapped to a proper cable that came with a fast external ssd and used its own supplied USB-C to A adapter and bingo... everything came up, put two cards in at once and moved files around no problem.

So I'd say keep the correct USB-C cables with the correct devices and in my case it solved the issue instantly.

I run a Dell XPS 8930 desktop with USB-C front and back, both running Gen 3.2

My laptop is a Dell XPS 7590 with 1 USB-C port running 3.2 that now runs Win11.

Steve

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ha! I literally just plugged it in and didn't hear a ding and Windows did NOTHING. I was searching for drivers, if there are any and saw this first. I guess I'll use my phone cord, although the blue light is on... thanks for putting this out there!

Edit: So I used a C to C and it worked fine. I found an article that said to insert the card, go to device manager, it's under "portable drives". I shows up for me as Sony. You update the driver and let Windows find it for you, take the card out... wait a bit, then re-insert and it should work. I think it worked before the driver install because my AV scanned it as an external drive. It must not like slow! :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 1, 2024 Views 2,342 Applies to: