Product key changed after upgraded to windows 10

I'm using my laptop Asus N56VZ which comes with a Windows 8 Home Single Language product key (***-2RYQ3) in its bios, everything is normal, I recieve update frequently (but I didn't upgrade to windows 8.1).
Yesterday, I upgraded my laptop directly to Windows 10 (skip Windows 8.1) through Media Creation Tool (x64)
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)
It didn't require me to insert the key, but after I finished installing Windows 10, I realized that the product key had been changed to BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT which is being shared on the internet.
My windows 8 key didn't work on windows 10 but when I rolled back to windows 8, it still works.
So what BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT is? Why did it automatically insert to my computer? 
What's wrong about my key?

P/s: I'm not native English speaker so, I'm sorry if I wrote something wrong.

Hi Gen,

Microsoft has not released any product key for Windows 10. The key which you are referring to is a generic key which is usually seen when we skip the activation process or we do a key less installation. The activation for upgrade installation works this way, if you upgrade from an already activated Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP 1 PC  your PC's activation will carry forward which means it will be in an activated state after the upgrade to Windows 10. If you perform a clean install of Windows 10 you have to purchase a product key or you can go back to Windows 8, upgrade to Windows 8.1 install the required updates and you can upgrade to Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't upgrade from an already activated Windows 8.1 but I upgraded from an already activated windows 8 using Media Creation Tool. And when I did that, MCT didn't ask me for Product key. Is that ok?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 8.1 using Windows Update.
It's exactly the same, the product key changed to BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
When I type slmgr.vbs /dli in CMD, it says my windows is Retail, I think it should be OEM like in Windows 8.1.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I have just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from my windows 8.1 which was genuine [pre-loaded with lap] but now unable to activate windows showing the following error.
Please help in the activation of free windows.

Showing same product key  as mentioned here in the forum.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you try the key  BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT ?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 6,758 Applies to: