Problem with Windows 11 activation

Hi!

Yesterday I bought a new CPU, GPU and motherboard, so when I was going to set everything up for my new hardware update, my father recommended me to upgrade my Windows to Windows 11, saying that as I have Windows 10, I could update it for free. I downloaded Windows 11 as an .iso directly from Microsoft and I thought I was all set up for the upgrade.

After installing the hardware, I got to the software and had no problems with it, until I had to activate Windows. I don't have the key of my previous version as I bought it online more than 5 years ago and I thought it was linked to my account. Apparently it is not.
I was wondering if you could help me get my previous key back so as to finally activate it.

Thanks in advance

HI Manu. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

The issue is the hardware motherboard change, after which only a retail license can continue. If your Windows 10 was converted to a Digital License then you may be able to sign into the new hardware with the same account and run the Activation Troubeshooter to transfer the license. This is explained in this Microsoft document:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rea...

If not then it requires contacting Support to move the retail license, which it will always do providing you still have the key. If you bought the license from Microsoft it may be in your Order history here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402731...

It is possible that if you still have the install that originally had the retail key installed, it may still be stored in Activation Settings. To try to find it run ProducKey which is from the respected software maker Nirsoft so ignore any claims it is a hacker tool, that's what most keyfinders are classed as: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_vi... and observe closely all keys. It will NOT be the OEM-BIOS key or Generic Version key shown here: https://winaero.com/windows-11-generic-keys-for...
Any other key may be the retail Product Key which you can try to give to Support.

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Greg!

Thanks for the quick response. I checked and I don't have it in my Order history, so I went to my father's and it is there. I have the purchase order but it doesn't have the Activation Key. We checked in his mail on that date and we cannot find any mail. Maybe he deleted it without knowing.
If I log into his account on my pc, would I be able to activate it? As it appears in his Order history. Or is there any way for me to get the key and upload it into my account.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Manu -

There is no Product Key for most Windows license purchased in the Store. It is a Digital License applied by signing in with the account which bought the license and applying it.

Perhaps this is because the license is in your Father's Account and you signed in with yours?

To fix this I would add your father's Microsoft account as an administrator on the install in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other Users > Other Users (unless you have Family Safety, then use Family). https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-add-microso...

Make it an Admin account: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/change-type-use...

Then from the MS account which holds the license, sign into Activation Settings (if necesssary, it should already be signed in) and run the Activation Troubleshooter to see if it finds and applies the license.

If not go into the MS Store app to open My Library, first see that all Updates are installed from the Get Updates button so we are sure it will work right, then from My Library list find and apply the license.

If these all fail contact Microsoft Store Support here:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US....

Tell the Virtual Agent the issue and keep requesting agent to get Chat or Call Back on weekdays.

Ask the agent who fixes this how you should be applying that particular license. As long as it is a valid License they will always make a retail license right or move it wherever you want, I've never seen different in thousands of activation cases handled over 12 years in forums.

Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg

I logged into my father's account, made it admin and got to Activation troubleshooter, when selected that I changed hardware it only appears one computer and that's my father's. In the order history we have 2 purchased Windows 10 so I'm sure that it should appear two devices and not just one.

I opened a service request so they should be calling me. Do you know how long this usually takes?

Thanks Greg, I appreciate all the support you have been giving me

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Manu, I'm not sure how long before they call back. I just hope they do call back. If not try again.

Does the Order History on your father's acccount show two licenses for the same as your installed version? If so then this is exactly the kind of issue that Support needs to sort out.

Keep in mind you can still use WIndows that is not activated, except to personalize it with backgrounds and colors. I just wanted to make sure you knew that so you can use it while you wait for Support to call back. You can also change to the Chat option if it's offered when you check again.

Please keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greg, they are both Windows 10 Home licenses, the only differences are the dates of purchase and the prices because of said date difference.

I hope they contact me soon because that "Activate windows" message on the bottom right corner is making me mad lol

Thanks once again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Manu, I'd just ignore it. Don't let Microsoft's glitches get to you, you're doing all you can do and it will get resolved one way or the other.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

Yesterday I bought a new CPU, GPU and motherboard, so when I was going to set everything up for my new hardware update, my father recommended me to upgrade my Windows to Windows 11, saying that as I have Windows 10, I could update it for free. I downloaded Windows 11 as an .iso directly from Microsoft and I thought I was all set up for the upgrade.

After installing the hardware, I got to the software and had no problems with it, until I had to activate Windows. I don't have the key of my previous version as I bought it online more than 5 years ago and I thought it was linked to my account. Apparently it is not.
I was wondering if you could help me get my previous key back so as to finally activate it.

Thanks in advance

MY CHENJ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 17, 2022 Views 76 Applies to: