Problem with resolutions on a duplicated display

When I connect my 4K PC to a FHD TV via HDMI, the PC only outputs a HD signal. When I try to change the display mode on the TV from HD to FHD, the PC drops from 4K to FHD. Why can’t I get 4K on the PC and FHD on the TV at the same time?

Hi there, thanks for your question.

If you're duplicating your display, the resolutions will be duplicated as well. You won't be able to display different resolutions between your PC and TV.

You'll need to Extend the display, which can be done by pressing Windows Key+P and selecting Extend.

More information on multiple displays and extending your desktop can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/434033...

Please let me know if you need further support! Thanks!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Graeme but it sound like you're just stating the obvious: if the 2 displays run at the same resolution, then you can duplicate them with no changes of resolution.

My question is what is going on when the 2 displays are running at different resolutions? In my case, display 1 (PC) is running at a higher resolution (4K) than display 2 (DTV)'s FHD, but I can still duplicate display 1 on display 2. While I don't expect display 2 to be running at 4K, why is it running at only HD? Seems like something is converting the 4K signal to HD and not to FHD.

Display 2 looks exactly like Display 1 except that everything, like text, looks fuzzier due to the HD resolution.

Under "Advanced display settings" for Display 2: DTV, it shows "Desktop resolution" at 3840x2160 but "Active signal resolution" at only 1280x720.

Is there some way to change the conversion ratio?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 7,249 Applies to: