Problem with "Media Usage Rights" On Windows Media Player

Two thirds of my music library has the same problem. Under the "Media Usage Rights" tab in "Properties" I get the message "The file is missing media usage rights". Now, I have downloaded the Microsoft license and I can play all of these tracks on my PC. But my problem comes with the fact that my lovely new media server (NuVo) needs to sync with this library. It can't see Artist or Album details for these tracks so I have thousands of ripped tracks unsorted and rendered virtually impossible to listen to. You can play them however, so the content is there. The weird thing is there seems to be no pattern to the albums that have the problem. For example, I have 3 Black Keys albums, one is fine , two have the problem. All were ripped on same PC into same file at same time and are stored in same place. Any solutions ?

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community and we will be happy to help you with your concern.

As per the description, you get error with Media Usage Rights.

Windows Media Player uses Microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology to preserve the rights of content owners who protect their music or video products in this manner. You must have the media usage rights required to play, burn, or sync protected content.

b. How to update the DRM license:

By default, Windows Media Player will automatically attempt to acquire usage rights silently unless the server requires some input from you (such as registration information or a fee). You can turn off automatic rights acquisition. If you do so, you will be prompted to obtain rights for any new content that requires them. To prevent Windows Media Player from acquiring rights automatically, do the following:

i. Click the arrow below the Now Playing tab, and then click More Options.
ii. Click the Privacy tab, and then clear the Automatically check if protected files need to be refreshed check box.

Please note that this setting does not affect usage rights acquisition from online stores.

Windows Media Player 11 privacy statement
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/products/windows-media-player/11/privacy-statement

To upgrade the Security Component for your digital media Player, refer:

Security component upgrade

This page lets you upgrade the security components of your digital media player so you can play protected files on your computer.

Hope this information helps.         

Reply to us if you face any issues with Media usage rights  or any other Windows Issue, and we would be glad to assist you.

Have a nice day!

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I may be having a similar problem to the original poster.

Though my issue concerns brand new shop bought CD's. Some have worked no problem, but others are "buffering" almost during attempted playback.

I have done the above check for media usage rights on a problem CD and found that they are missing - with no indication from WMP that this is the problem. Other shop bought CD's that have played fine are not protected.

Could you let me know how I rectify this please.

Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I have downloaded several albums with an Xbox Music subscription.

I can play them in the Music App.

I cannot play them in Windows Music Player due to usage rights.

I have opened Music, played the track, then tried in WMP as suggested.

I have downloaded the security update and restarted.

The problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried the instructions but found they didn't work. I've also clicked on both links mentioned. One comes up with a blank page and the Privacy Update has  frozen and does not appear to be doing anything. I've left it for 20mins. Greyed out button - but nothing

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Lynda - I have no means of testing this link (below) myself as I have no DRM issues, but it may be worth a try. Follow BMF59's instructions in his answer (using Internet Explorer if possible - if not, Edge may work) - please update if it does not help because then I can stop referencing it!! - Cheers, Ric.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-manually-reset-the-drm-media-rights/dbe7f17f-ece0-4067-a9cf-36c015d7ab1f

No longer active in this community from July 2018 - Regards to all - RW

Sorry this didn't help.

Lynda - I have no means of testing this link (below) myself as I have no DRM issues, but it may be worth a try. Follow BMF59's instructions in his answer (using Internet Explorer if possible - if not, Edge may work) - please update if it does not help because then I can stop referencing it!! - Cheers, Ric.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-manually-reset-the-drm-media-rights/dbe7f17f-ece0-4067-a9cf-36c015d7ab1f

That answer seems to only work with Windows 7 and prior. Doesn't work for me on 8.1.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately there are quite a few variables with DRM depending on OS and the origins of the tracks (e.g. some earlier downloads may never be workable) - it's particularly problematic for W10 users. I've never used 8.1 myself.

Are the tracks in question downloads or discs you ripped with copy protection? In theory you should be able to restore the latter.

No longer active in this community from July 2018 - Regards to all - RW

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2020 Views 8,061 Applies to: