Problem with directinput in dxdiag and launching games

I have recently started having problems launching certain games.  The two games, at the moment, are 'Black hawk down' and 'Dead space'.  When I run Dxdiag I get an error accessing direct input.  If I click 'no' to the popup that dxdiag had errors accessing direct input, my dxdiag crashes with report error to microsoft.  I believe the two are connected.  I have reinstalled/updated all sound, graphics and system drivers to no avail.  When I try to do the webinstall of directx I get the message it does not need updating.  All devices working fine.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Lee

Win XP Home - SP3 - fully updated, Phenom II x4 3.1GHz, 4GB ram, radeon hd5670 1GB, Onboard sound.

Answer
Answer
Managed to find out what was causing the problem.  I have an USB electric meter key reader.  Somehow it is blocking the directinput making certain games unplayable and causing the dxdiag problem.  If anyone else has a similar problem then I would suggest unplugging each of your USB devices, one at a time, and see if the problem goes away.
If you think my answers are helpful please vote and mark as possible answer. Thank you.
Information provided to be used at your own risk. If you think my answers are helpful please mark so

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2023 Views 3,103 Applies to: