Power Settings say sleep @ 30 min but computer sleeps @ 2.5 minutes

I've tried posting this before but the one and only reply I got from MSFT was not helpful and then MSFT stopped replying to thread so I'm creating a new post...

Here's Original Post:

Problem started occurring since upgrading to Windows 10.  Same machine running Windows 8 had no issues.

My computer isn't supposed to sleep for 15 (battery) or 30 minutes (plugged in).  But it sleeps after approximately 2.5 minutes.  I just tested twice while plugged in.  One test I timed at 2 min 32 sec and one at 2 min 33 sec.  

Huge pain in the **** as I have a very strong password and I'm accidentally locked out of my computer approx 100x / day.

Below are my power settings:

System > Power & Sleep Settings: instruct both the screen to turn off and the computer to sleep at 15 minutes when on battery and 30 minutes when plugged in.   

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings: also instruct both the screen to turn off and the computer to sleep at 15 minutes when on battery and 30 minutes when plugged in.   

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options: I'm running the default "Balanced (recommended)" power plan, not a custom power plan.

You can see the bad advice I got in response here

I tried running the Power Troubleshooter as suggested but that didn't work.

I clicked the "How to create and delete a power plan" link but could not access the content as MSFT detected I was running Windows 10 and the link was to Windows 8 content so I was redirected to some Windows 10 content homepage (nothing related to power - just general Windows 10 stuff).

Similarly the "Clean Boot" link provided had nothing regarding Windows 10.

I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 10.  NO MORE WINDOWS 8 ADVICE, PLEASE.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience you are facing currently, and we in Community will try to resolve your issue the best way we can.

As per you query, I suggest that you refer to the methods provided below and check if it resolve your issue:

Method 1: Check if issue persist even in Safe mode.

1. To log in safe mode, run command (press windows logo button+R) and type “msconfig”
  2. A pop-up window will open and click on boot tap and select safe mode with minimal as option.

Method 2:

If the power troubleshooter didn’t detect any incorrect settings, then it is possible that the issue is caused by an incompatible or corrupt driver. When the computer goes to sleep mode, Windows sends a request to all hardware parts asking to enter sleep mode. But if the driver for a particular hardware part (like a network adapter or graphic card) is corrupt, it might not respond to these requests and may prevent the computer from entering sleep mode. To resolve this, I would suggest you to run Windows update to make sure that you have installed the latest drivers for all the devices. Refer to the section ‘To check for updates’ in this article:

Note: (Also applicable to 10)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

Additional Link:Power plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2024 Views 233 Applies to: