Power plan CPU frequency settings affect only E-cores, not P-cores, is it a bug?

I have DELL XPS 9520, Inte 12700H CPU, turbo boost is off.

Windows 11 21H2 22000.1335

If I change Maximum Processor state parameter of power plan, it affects only E-cores.
I want to adjust both E and P-cores, how to do that?

Please see attached screenshot illustrating the problem.

Hi, Alexey.

I am Ivan, I will help you with this.

So the 12th generation of Intel processors have two system cores for Efficiency and Performance, the performance cores will always remain in the native configuration of high performance since the focus is that, and efficiency are for using the background process.

To change the clock or use performance cores you would have to access the overclocking system.

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks
Yours sincerely,
Ivan Carlos.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

>performance cores will always remain in the native configuration of high performance

>to change the clock or use performance cores you would have to access the overclocking system.

These two statements seems not to be true for all cases, because if I turn off E-cores, then Windows power plan can adjust P-cores frequency without problems. See attached screenshot. So it is unclear - what prevent Windows to control both P and E cores simultaneously? And where I can read about this limitatation?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't confirm it, but according to the information on the 12th generation of intel it works as a 2in1 system since the hybrid architecture maybe windows doesn't recognize it correctly, I have an i5-12600k, and I did the test, you're right with e-cores enabled usage levels are only affected in e-cores, p-cores are not affected.

I even checked with intel, I didn't find a valid answer, but I found information that happens with P-cores that says the following: "So my understanding is that the "base" clock and power values ​​that I mentioned are not minimums in idle state, but values ​​that the CPUs are guaranteed to maintain under load on all cores, for infinite duration (assuming thermal limits are not exceeded)."

However, when deactivating the e-core, it ceases to be a Hybrid system and functions as an 11th generation Intel processor.

Thanks
Yours sincerely,
Ivan Carlos.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wanted to limit turbo boost level on this laptop to reduce heat and noise, or extend battery life.

For example set maximum frequency to 3.2 Ghz, isntead of 4.5 Ghz. But I'm unable to do it because of this problem.

If this is a bug/feature of Windows, then it would be good if Microsoft fix/improve it. Could you assist in reporting it to Microsoft?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I reported it through Feedback Hub the app I'll leave the link explaining how to report to Microsoft through the app.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sen...

Hope this helps.

If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

Thanks
Yours sincerely,
Ivan Carlos.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found the way to do the job (set 3200 Mhz MAX to P cores, and 2500 Mhz MAX to E cores):

powercfg /setACvalueindex scheme_current SUB_PROCESSOR PROCFREQMAX 2500
powercfg /setACvalueindex scheme_current SUB_PROCESSOR PROCFREQMAX1 3200
powercfg /setDCvalueindex scheme_current SUB_PROCESSOR PROCFREQMAX 2500
powercfg /setDCvalueindex scheme_current SUB_PROCESSOR PROCFREQMAX1 3200

powercfg /setactive scheme_current

Windows is now closer and closer to linux: only way to go is command line or regedit...

You may also have a look on the problem of poor performance of minimized applications. They are directed to "Background" power profile, which prefers E - cores by default. If number of theads is lower than number of E-cores, then even on "Performance"plan in windows Settings, problem exist. Performance of minimized application may be 2x lower that of visible one.

Solution for this problem was posted on reddit - to make background power scheme prefer P cores. But it may reduce battey life in some scenarios.

(search "powercfg profile_background schedpolicy" in google )

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 3,619 Applies to: