Possible to upgrade inactivated windows 10 home to windows 10 pro through usb without having to back up all my files and reinstall all my programs

Accidentally purchased a code for w10 pro, not home, and i was trying to activate my windows. Is there anyway for me to be able to upgrade my current inactivated version of windows 10 home to pro through a usb like the media creation tool without having to completely back up all my files and reinstall all my programs? 
Hi thriftyhotline

Is that licence key you purchased a Windows Pro upgrade licence key, or is that a full Windows Pro licence key?

What exactly happens when you enter that key into Settings - Update and Security - Activation?

Where did you purchase this Windows 10 Pro licence key from, is the from the Microsoft Store or some 3rd party vendor?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi thriftyhotline,

I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor, here to help you.
If you have a product key for Windows 10 Pro and actually you are running Windows 10 Home, in order to upgrade, without losing your personal data, you only need to:

1. Press WINDOWS + I
2. Click on "Update and Security"
3. Click on "Activation"
4. Click on "Change Product Key"
5. Type your product key
6. Follow on screen instruction and your system will be rebooted and upgraded to Pro.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 2-Year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Just entering the product key in Settings should convert Windows 10 Home to Pro. Isn't it the case?
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It shows as a activation code on ebay, when i enter it into settings it gives me an error code, most likely due to me having home and it being a pro upgrade key, dont know for sure if its a upgrade or full key though, based on reviews on ebay almost 100% of people have reported on the seller being safe and reliable so i went with it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

may be upgrade key or else  that key is invalid  or  key has been used by others 
I am working as a Mathematics lecturer in a PU college.
Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3737_MS.office365_C2R_2405_v17628.20144_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage 6TB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2023 Views 352 Applies to: