Photoshop CS3 not working with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Have installed Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium onto a full retail edition of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  All components have installed fine (no errors etc).  All other applications seem to work fine (Bridge, Falsh, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc, etc).  Just Photoshop won't work.  It will attempt to start, but fails during it's startup routine (ie where it shows the various adobe items being loaded up).  Comes up asking if I want to close program, or look for solution online.  I've tried solution online several times, but nothing happens.  I note that on Windows 7 compatibility site this products shows as running fine on Windows 7 ult, 64 bit....

I have tried uninstall and reinstall a few times.  Also tried running in compatibility modes (Vista, XP) several flavours (ie service packs).  Nothing works.
Answer
Answer
OK,

So I've been looking at this for quite a few hours over the last few days and good news!  My thanks for your suggestions, but whilst trying multiple uninstalls of various software/services/drivers I noticed that when Photoshop fails to open it stopped at the same point.  Before clicking "Look for solution online" or "Close program" I noted down that it was at the TWAIN loading screen.  TWAIN is for scanners (took me a few moments before I remembered that).  A search for "CS3 TWAIN problem" gives a few results but about third on the list for me was:

This is a link to an Adobe tech note that explains the exact problem I was having.  Just in case the link stops working, here are the very simple steps:
On Windows:
  1. Go to Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Import-Export (Photoshop CS2), or Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\Import-Export (Photoshop CS3).
  2. Right-click the Twain_32.8BA file and choose Rename.
  3. Add a tilde (~) in front of the name and press Enter.
Note that Photoshop will no longer talk direct to scanners, but to be honest who cares.  You can scan whatever you want using your scanning software and open the resulting image files in Photoshop. 

I hope this helps others.  Plus GREAT news, CS3 really IS compatible with Windows 7.

Note, here's another link that may be useful if you're running 64 bit, you may get an error when installing CS3 (I didn't get the first 7 times I tried, but on number 8 I got it).  The steps are easy and it works.  It's for the error "can't find adobePDF.dll".

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2023 Views 36,856 Applies to: