Photos locked in Windows 10

HI

Since I've installed Windows 10, I can't rotate and save pictures anymore as it tell me that the file is in use by another app. I used explorer and found all the photos were 'read only' so I batch converted them to NOT be read only but they are still locked for editing. I checked them all again and they had been made read-only again. Something is continually overriding them to read only. I am running the photo slide show on my desktop, so I turned that off as I suspected that was the 'other app' but it still doesn't allow picture saves. I have also installed the camera upload app on my iPhone to automatically download photos to my Windows PC, could that be the cause of the clash?

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family. I would be happy to assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that the images stored in your computer cant be edited as it is already in use by some other program.

I would suggest you to place the computer in a Clean Boot situation and check if it helps to isolate and identify the issue. Please follow the below steps.

1.  To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot. 

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

2.  To disable any 3rd party unwanted startup programs in Windows 8 and above, follow: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20119.how-to-enable-or-disable-startup-programs-in-windows-8.aspx

Alternatively, I would also suggest you to check for the file association rules set for the image files stored in your computer.

Ref: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-desktop/windows-81-how-to-set-and-restore-file/16c2e10d-ec99-4fee-8f56-b87c4338e006

Note: Links relevant to Windows 8.1 also applies to Windows10.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

With respect Sayan,

It’s not third party programmes that are the issue here. I had complete control over the explorer file tree before I upgraded to Windows 10. Now I cannot add photos to, or edit photos in my ‘pictures’ directory, because the folder is Read-Only.  Windows new app, ‘Photos’ Is now associated with jpg files, but even that app is not permitted to save photos; it keeps asking telling me I don’t have administrator permission.

I’m frustrated as hell.

Craig.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2024 Views 3,134 Applies to: