Phone (Windows Phone 8.1) not connecting to Windows 10 laptop using USB cable - no drivers

Hi - I have a Lumia 735 phone running Windows Phone 8.1. Everything works fine on - including calendar/contacts sync through my microsoft account that I use on on my laptop.  On my old laptop (Vista) I could connect my phone using a USB cable to copy large numbers of files (e.g. music). The same is supposed to happen with my new laptop (HP Envy running Windows 10), but the phone does not show up in Explorer and when I look in the device manager it has the yellow warning triangle next in the device logo - "Lumia 735 (RM-1038)". The message under properties for the devices reports "The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device".

I've tried:

1) updating the driver software - but it just comes back with the message "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error when attempting to install it". It refers to the device as MTP USB Device.

2) uninstalling device and then re-connecting the phone to see if it will auto install when I next connect - but it just gets to the same error situation.

3) used troubleshooting - it reports "the driver for Lumia 735 (RM-108) is not installed". When I go through the Apply this fix, it says restart the PC to finish installing the driver, but it doesn't.

I've searched for fixes, including trying to find the relevant drivers - but most of the stuff I find about this problem is specific to earlier versions of Windows and don't work for my laptop running Windows 10. It just seems like I need to find the driver to install, but its like looking for dark energy!! Surely connecting a windows phone to a windows PC should be easy.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

I suggest you to go through the answer provided by Divya R for a similar issue and check if it helps.

Click on, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/code-28-usb-driver-seems-to-become-spontaneously/696cc7ce-bd33-408a-969d-cc6f3b83eb52

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello. Thanks for your fast response. However the answer you pointed doesn't move me forward. For method 1 those entries for that registry key do not exist - I presume since that is for Windows 7 and I am using Windows 10. For method 2 it just asks to reinstall the driver - which as I have said I have tried, but Windows 10 can't find them.

I think the MTP USB driver is something built into Windows 10 and can't be downloaded separately (maybe why I am having so much difficulty finding it) and it seems to be related to Windows Media Player (which is works for playing music etc).

Can you give me a link to download it - I presume from Microsoft rather than from my laptop manufacturer (HP)

Or, is there a specific place on my c:\ driver that I should browse to so that the driver update can find it locally ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLVED:It seems I managed to fix the problem by reading a few other posts on similar sounding issues, and a bit of luck in trying the one that fixed it.

The driver needed looks like it is built-into Windows 10, and is something called the MTP USB Device Driver. When I tried automatic searching online for the missing driver - via the "update driver" option in device manager - it would just return saying driver could not be found. Eventually I saw a post saying point the search to C:\Windows\WinSxS - this time it found a driver, but reported that it could bot be installed due to no digital signature information (odd for what should be a Microsoft driver!!). I then found a way to force Windows 10 to accept unsigned drivers. Installing the driver after that proceeded, albeit with a message to accept an unsigned driver and the USB devices seem to be working as expected.

Here's what I did in detail in case helpful:
  1. Open Device Manager, and then:
    • Navigate to the problematic USB device (might be under Other Devices or USB devices) - there was a yellow warning triangle over the icon
    • Right click | Update Driver Software ...
    • Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
    • In Search for driver software in this location, type C:\Windows\WinSxS (I also had include subfolders selected)
    • Click Next. It will then report status as searching, and then installing once found
    • I guess this may work as is, but for me it came back with an error message "Third party INF does not contain digital signature information", so I had to do the next steps.
  2. Disable Driver signature verification in Windows 10, by following steps in this web-page - http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/
    • Hold shift and click restart
    • On restart you get some new screens to work with. Select Troubleshooting. Select Advanced. Select Start-up Settings. And then restart
    • On second restart you will get a new screen that allows you to select certain modes. Disable driver signature verification is option 7, so press F7. The PC will restart back into windows.
    • Repeat Step 1 and there is now a dialogue that asks to install with the unsigned driver, and it installed without error, and my USB devices (Windows Phone Lumia 735 and Plantronics headset) seem to connect just fine.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW this appears to be a problem that other types of USB devices have when connecting to Windows 10. So feel free to circulate this possible fix more widely.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW #2 - why can't I mark my own posts as an Answer ? Could somebody please do it for me.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the detailed information. We are glad that the issue is resolved.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2021 Views 2,042 Applies to: