Permanent fix for WIFI Ping Spikes

I recently moved so I was forced to switch from LAN to WIFI. In my mind I thought, it would be only slightly worse but I was wrong.  I couldn't play any multiplayer game because the lags and disconnects were so bad. First I thought it was my hardware, so I switched to a better WIFI dongle but that didn't help either. So I started google... That's when I found the problem. Every 5-6 secs I have a ping increase of about 2000-3000ms. 

I found also an solution, many tries later. First I tried disabling Windows Updates uploading to other PC, or disabling One Drive, nothing worked. 

Finally I came across a thread there someone suggested disabling Wlanautoconfig with this command: 

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="name of your wireless network here" 

To my surprise that worked, and solved all the ping spikes.

It runs smoothly around 30ms. (I have no real explanation to why this works, so if someone could explain it to me would be great.)

That's the point where my new problem starts. This is only a temporary fix, because I have to do it every restart and it screws over the Wifi settings so I have to reset the Network too, to find my Wifi again, connect to it and then apply the fix . 

To get to the point, is there a way to fix this problem for good? 

PS: Sorry for the lousy editing, first question here, so not quite familiar with the tools. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

First you should run Internet Connections / Network / Hardware & devices Troubleshooter and then execute Microsoft recommended troubleshooting steps. Update me once done.

A. Run Internet Connections / Network / Hardware & Devices Troubleshooters
Windows Key+I > Update & Security > Troubleshoot >
1. Click Internet Connections > Run the Troubleshooter
2. Click Network adapters > Run the Troubleshooter
3. Click Hardware & Devices > Run the Troubleshooter

B. Run Built-in & Guided Walk through Windows Update troubleshooter
Built-in : Windows Key+X > Click Settings > Click Update & security > Click Troubleshoot > Click Windows Update > Click Run the Troubleshooter

Guided Walk though - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/...

C. Run SFC Scan & DISM
How to - https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bc609315-d...

D. Head to following Microsoft Help Link and execute the steps there
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/...
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

First, let me thank you for your answer. 

Second I have to tell you, that nothing you suggested worked. I have already tried many things on that list before but to be sure I did them again.

All the troubleshooters found nothing, so did System scan and repair. 

The link in D did not really help, because its focused to establish an Internet connection which is not the problem. Either way, I did the stuff that was applicable, no results. The mysterious 3000ms spikes stayed.  Still, no clue what causes them. My method still works fine, but it's cumbersome.

91 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disable Energy Efficient Ethernet in "Client for Microsoft Networks"
Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click the adapter > Properties > Power Management, and then clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

If you don't have that option, see other ways to disable it:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/20...

If the network connection is slow or lagging, check if Windows 10 is downloading Windows Update or the Microsoft Store is downloading updates. These can sometimes affect the performance your network connection.

remove any special bundled software that came with the motherboard.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried switching of the power management option, no results. Also, I have no idea how this should have an influence. I don't have problems that my USB dongle is not waking up after sleep mode. I have a Wifi connection all the time. Just with enormous ping spikes every 5-10secs, like I showed in my screenshots.  I can also exclude any external software or windows updates because after disabling Wlanautoconfig via CMD it's working just fine, with all the possible external programmes running, including windows update!

And my network connection is not slow or lagging, I have abnormal ping spikes, only really noticeable while gaming. And it has to be something in Windows that's causing it, I tried all the other possibilities (including hardware changes) with no success.

But it seems you can´t help me, so I have to stay with disabling it via CMD and then resetting my network after every restart and repeating the problem.  Annoying but it works. 

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would request you to provide following information -

A. What is your computer's make and model? For example Lenovo T470

B. What is the Windows version and build? To check this, type winver in Windows Start Search (Cortana) box and click winver.

C. Did this problem start after any Windows update? - When did the last Windows updates take place and what were the KB numbers? (To check Windows updates, Windows Key+I > Update & security > View Installed update history)
Sincerely yours,

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed? See how to verify:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Which version and edition Windows did you originally upgrade from or was installed prior to your current version:

Windows 10 - 1703, 1607, 1511, 1507 (build 10240)

Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A: It's not a prebuild PC, so I cant provide you with that information. (Specs are i7 3770K, and Asrock Z77 Pro 3.) Either way, it shouldn't matter, because I am using an external USB Wifi dongle. (And it's not the cause of the problem, I checked that)

B: I am running the latest Windows 10 version, with every Update installed. Its Version 1803 and Build 17134.81

C: No it had nothing to do with an Update. I moved and was forced to switch from Lan to Wifi. Since then I have these problems

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend that you perform a Windows 10 repair upgrade. Repair upgrade fixes all Windows errors and retains all files, applications and settings. (You will not lose any data while backup is a good idea) Below is a good guide to perform repair upgrade

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repai...

Disclaimer - This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Sincerely yours,

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I originally upgraded from Windows 7 pro, but thats a long time ago. I did many clean installs since then. Running Windows 10 pro at the moment with version 1803. Upgraded from the Falls creators update. But that can´t be the reason for this problem, because it existed with the previous version as well. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This could simply be a hardware compatibility issue with Windows 10 in general.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 246,142 Applies to: