Periodic mouse stutter after some update

Hi, I'm not sure which update did it but it happened within the last week.

Now every ~5-10 minutes period, my mouse gets a stutter for a few seconds and then comes back to normal.

I have:
*re-installed mouse driver

*changed mouse

*re-install graphic driver to latest

*started killing random programs and services to see if any of them was related.

When the stutter happens, i can see explorer.exe taking a bit more cpu than normal but nothing that should affect my high performance system in such a way.

As I'm writing this message, I can tell that my keyboard is also affected but I have music playing which doesn't seem to be affected.

I went on linux for a while and didn't seem to see the issue.

I grabbed Microsoft Performance Recorder and recorded different signals to see if anything obvious was happening.

I might lack experience with the tool but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I'm running windows 10 pro with the windows updates fully up to date.

|
Greetings,

My name is Rhaine, I'm Independent Community Volunteer. I am here to help.
I am also using Windows 10 pc. Let us work together to sort this out.

You can try the following steps below.

Use the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers
Select Mouse, then right click and select Troubleshoot

Change your mouse frequency
Mouse lag problems can be related to its frequency. This issue usually affects wireless mice, and if your mouse is lagging, you might be able to solve the problem by adjusting its frequency. To do that, open your mouse configuration software and change its frequency from 500 to 250Hz. After doing that, your mouse will start working normally.

Disable Fast Startup
Go to Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Power Options> Choose what the power button does> Change settings that are currently unavailable. Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) and click on Save changes.

Roll back your drivers
Press Windows Key + X, now select Device Manager from the list.
When Device Manager opens, locate your mouse or Realtek audio driver and double click it.
Go to Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver button if available. If Roll Back Driver button is grayed out, this solution doesn’t apply to you.After rolling back the problematic drivers check if the issue still appears.

Once done perform a scan.

1. Windows Key + R
2. Type CMD right click and run as administrator.
3. Copy and paste the command below

sfc /scannow

Once you complete the steps, the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool will connect to the Windows Update servers to download and replace any damaged files in the local image for Windows 10 as necessary.
Once done perform Clean Boot

This process will eliminate 3rd party application running in the background of your computer along with services that are not needed to run windows. If there's any conflicting 3rd party application that causes the issue on your computer, this process will stop it.

1. Open the run box by pressing the Windows Key + R and type msconfig

2. System Configuration Utility box will open and by default you are on general tab.

3. On the General tab, click the selective startup and make sure that load system service and load startup items both have checked mark.

4. Click on services tab

5. Put a check mark on Hide All Microsoft Services > This is a very important part as if you miss to click on this, computer might not boot properly or permanently and will end up on clean installation.

6. Once Hide all Microsoft Services have checked mark on it, click on Disable All

7. Click on the Startup Tab and click open task manager. This will open another window which contains all your startup applications on the administrator account.

8. Disable all application that you're not using. You can simply just click on them and select disable.

9. Click OK, Apply and close the configuration utility

10. Restart your pc and check how it goes

I hope the information and steps above helps.Please let me know how it goes.

Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

With Warm Regards,
Rhaine C.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

this looked like it helped a bit but the issue is still there.

something is happening periodically and it's stalling my inputs.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright I found it. 

I've accidentally set my desktop wallpaper to point to a new photo folder that i created recently.

nothing fancy, just 67 photos. and every time the wallpaper would change to a new photo, there would be a performance spike with explorer.exe.

explorer.exe could use up to 10% of my i7 9700K.

it's like if it stalled the main UI thread but it only starts being bad after working on my computer for a day.

in case that it account sfor something, that cpu is kinda weird where intel disabled hyperthreading.

i don't know, it feels kinda heavy for just loading a new photo as a wallpaper. I'll try without and see how it goes.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2021 Views 2,410 Applies to: