pc won't update from Windows 10 1909 to 2004 or 20H2

I have been waiting for my laptop to update from1909 to 2004 but it hasn't happened yet.  I am now receiving a Windows message on the task bar that states "Your version of Windows 10 will reach end of service soon.  Click to download a newer version of Windows 10 to stay supported." 

Clicking on the message takes you to the Windows Update screen but running the "Check for Updates" button doesn't find any updates.  It also says "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page." 

What do I need to do to get Windows to update to the 2004 or 20H2??

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Kathy

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

You currently have version 1909 of Windows 10 installed on your PC, that version will go out of support in May this year

That notification that your PC is not ready for version 2004, indicates there is a hardware block on your PC, some component of your hardware is blocking the 2004 update, Microsoft are working to resolve that problem and you should not manually update, there is nothing you need to do, you will automatically receive version 2004, when they resolve the problem

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the quick reply

Do you know if Microsoft will fix the problem before the 1909 version goes off support in May? 

Kathy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kathy

I do not think they will have that fixed before 1909 goes out of support, they have been working on that for a long time, though version 21h1 is being released in April, and that version may not have that hardware block, we just do not have ant information on that yet . . .

Either way, you do not need to be worried about this, end of support will not make any difference to your installed edition . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave

So if they end support and this isn't fixed by then, will they still issue security and other updates for 1909 until it's resolved?

Kathy

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kathy
Yes, you will still receive Security Updates, you do not need to worry about that, hopefully they have this block fixed in version 21h1 . . .

Power to the Developer!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave

Thank you so much for all your quick replies.  I'll wait to see what happens!

Thanks

Kathy

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay Kathy, glad to Help!

Power to the Developer!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Security updates for 1909 will end May 11, 2021.

See

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/announcements/windows-10-1909-end-of-servicing#:~:text=Windows%2010%2C%20version%201909%20will,Windows%2010%20Home%2C%20version%201909

I have an HP Desktop with Conexant HD Audio that has the same problem.

Paul

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is my Quora answer. Please bear with me for the long answer. I would be greatly happy if it can help you.

[SOLVED]****FOR whoever want to update your windows 10 from version 1909 or older -----> 2004/20H2/21H1 **** WITHOUT CLEAN INSTALL ******

A few days back (May 2021), I was trying to update my Windows10 version1909 laptop to 2004 and subsequently 20H2, as 1909 reached the end of service (May 11, 2021). Up to these many days, every time I was trying to update windows by going into the settings, it was failing to install and it was telling your device is not ready even though I fulfilled the minimum basic requirements of 2004 and 20H2 (1GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, DirectX9.0., WDDM1.0, 32GB free storage). My update failed about 20 times- I did apply all the fixes on the internet, youtube, Microsoft and windows10 forums. I tried numerous times with both windows update assistant and media creation tool. I was hopeless to the point that I wanted to freshly install but then I had to install all the installed software for my PhD research purposes which would take me more than 1 day and my all personal settings would be gone.

Then, I found this tool - IT WAS A LIFESAVER TO ME!! (link below)

I ran one update using windows update assistant and it failed at 37% without any error code. I ran this tool and it showed that I have a Conexant made Realtek HD audio driver. I looked inside Realtek folder and found one Realtek HD audio driver (.exe) made from the publisher Conexant. I deleted the full folder in c:\programfiles\Realtek and uninstalled the device by going into device manager (under sound control). I even uninstalled display drivers. I didn’t do any restart of my PC at this point, as then the drivers may again be installed back. Now I restarted the update using update assistant and it went past 37% but at 56% again it failed! Now the SetupDiag tool told me that the location of wimmount.sys file is not there in E:\ E:\macrium folder. I installed macrium reflect long back and uninstalled al also, but it permanently damaged my registry. By a google search I found this page and applied the fix.

I changed the path in the registry. VOILA!!! Now my update went past 56% and it completed within 1 hour!! I got 20H2 Windows10. Immediately, next next day I got 21H1 update too. I wasted my 2 days completely behind this windows 10 update!! I felt like I won a war!!

*****MY SUGGESTION*****

If a windows update fails, use this SetupDiag tool mentioned above to know the real reason and fix it. Just save the .exe file in some location and run it - one results.log file will contain all the information at the last. It is better than trying all the youtube and Google remedies. It will save you lots of time. I would also suggest seeing this video, it helped me.

FIXED Can't Update Windows 10 20H2 - Update Stuck at 31% 61% or 99% | Solution - YouTube

I would also suggest keeping all your important files in the drive other than "c" (plus an extra backup) before running update assistant and don't forget to keep my settings and apps. 

N.B.: I didn't like 20H2 much but the 21H1 is really snappier and faster as well as the most stable version of W10, I feel with great security improvements. Go get it!!

And finally, Shame on you MICROSOFT that you don’t show the detailed error to the user once an update fails!! Leave alone fixing. An error code of 0x80070003 can be because of many reasons. You could not give a proper solution to the Conexant made audio drivers also. Even Sennheiser used conexant drivers 2 years back.

Update should be flawless, not like this - winning a war!!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While they waited until the very last minute, my laptop finally updated to 20H2 with the May update.  Granted it took over 16 hours to complete and i had purchased a new laptop a month ago.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2024 Views 2,049 Applies to: