PC using ram for no reason

When I leave my computer running for a while, maybe while watching a movie, maybe just as it starts up, maybe it never happens before I shut it down, ram usage goes to 99% usage.

When this happens windows begins to swap memory to the page file, which makes the drive that has it work at 100%. At least now It's in a hard drive, it was in an ssd before, awful idea to have it working at 100%. At these times my pc becomes sluggish, can't do anything and have to reboot, sometimes forcing it is the only option.

I contacted support, they took control of my pc, run a chkdsk which did nothing (perhaps somehow break the displayport connection of my monitor).

I asked this question a while ago, the only answer was to run performance recorder while the problem occured but it proved impossible to run and all events where dropped.

As I write this I can see my ram filling up, I don't know what with, but there it goes.

I've had this problem only on windows 8, 8.1 and 10, never in 7.

hulp, thanks.

Which program is using the RAM?
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

None really... The disk usage is all system. But there is no program using the ram unless I open 40 chrome tabs.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah Chrome loves RAM, but if all the memory used is showing under System, it might just be your SuperFetch system at work.  Try this out for me:

1. Close all programs that are running, and also in the taskbar notification area by the clock, exit anything you can (Chrome might be there, among many other things... I like to tell Chrome not to run in the background silently there but that's just personal preference, I only want it running when I'm using it).
  2. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and go to the Performance tab.
  3. Click Open Resource Monitor
  4. Go to the Memory tab

On here, observe how much memory is truly "in use".  The system will usually use a lot of standby RAM, making it look like your RAM is super full, but in reality the standby ram can be cleared in 1/1000th of a second, instantly for any other program to use. So it's not really "full" ram if this is the case.

For example, here's my computer currently below.  I'd love to see your view of this as well if you care to share.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I disabled superfetch, that didn't work, prefetch wasn't at fault either.

I tried also using microsoft support but they can't really test the error, they disable all my programs and say, "hey, that ram is looking pretty free now" and that doesn't help much. They blame some program in the background eating my memory but I don't have anything I didn't in windows 7 and nothing is really weird.

My biggest problem with this is that when the real error occurs I can't do anything to check what is causing it. It isn't very different from a blue screen since I can't do anything but at least blue screens tell you what is wrong (or try to).

I do have some screenshots I managed to take when it happened once, sadly none of the memory tab on resource monitor and they show nothing bat ram usage at 99% and drive activity at 100%.

If I can get the screenshot I'll post it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There's some advanced tools from SysInternals that might help track down what's using it too.  Is it very intermittent?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's very sudden and final. Last few times happened while watching a movie, it was doing great but suddenly some frames where dropped, then it jumped between frames and continued like that until I rebooted. 

It's actually been some time, it might be luck or it might be that I closed the most suspicious program (my mouse driver, since it's not from a well known brand).

If I can't see it happen again...

Of course, as I write this I can see some ghost memory usage...

It's not the worst that happens at all, but I'm doing nothing except for the usual background programs and 3 chrome tabs. That can't justify 5661 MB in use right?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Chrome.  It preloads pages 3 pages deep from any page open just in case you might click on them later, so it can fake a faster load. The trade of is significantly worse performance, RAM utilization, and battery life (if you like fast loads though, it might be worth it).  If you have 64-bit system, it will use even more as aggressively as it possibly can.

This is why it's fruitless to even try to fix it if chrome has a process running, and also why I disable it from running in the background.

I'm not saying the answer is "don't use Chrome", but it's impossible to troubleshoot if chrome is actively processing, because it's busy loading hundreds of pages that you may or may not ever actually visit.

Why does Chrome use so much freaking RAM?

chrome using tons of memory - Google Search

Reduce Chrome memory - Chrome Help
Chrome using too much memory on Windows 7? Try my solution. - Google Product Forums
Chrome Massive memory leak - Google Product Forums
Chrome still uses ungodly amount or memory and cause 'Out of Memory' warnings - Google Product Forums
Why is chrome eating up so much of my physical memory [Solved] - RAM - Memory
Chrome Eating Memory [Solved] - RAM - Memory
ELI5: Why does Chrome take up so much memory even after I've closed a lot of tabs? : explainlikeimfive
Chrome is a memory hog. : chrome
How to Troubleshoot Google Chrome’s High CPU and Memory Usage
How to tame Google Chrome's memory use - gHacks Tech News
Why does Chrome eat up all my memory on Windows 7 4GB RAM laptop?

How to Make Google Chrome Use less Memory

and literally hundreds of thousands more...

PS. Don't get me wrong, I have it installed. I'm a web developer. I need it, and the Profiles system it has is invaluable and I couldn't do my job without it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I knew it uses a lot ram, I don't mind that, but it never gave me trouble in windows 7. And I'd guess it wouldn't go as far as using up all ram and then go and use the pagefile, that'd make no sense.

After closing it I got similar ram use (I don't know if that's just because it won't show) 

but then again, adding up the numbers used but chorme could account for say 1,5GB? I don't think it adds up.

(out until tomorrow)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Chrome could absolutely account for 1.5 GB (or far, far more).  But even after you've closed it, that looks a little heavy.  Not super terribly bad - you've got about 35% free RAM and that's fairly normal.

I would sort by the committed column (4th column in your view) and look at what has the highest committed amount.  From the looks of it, Avast is using quite a bit (maybe it's scanning right now?), and DWM is using quite a bit more than normal.  Background programs like steam and contribute some.  But really these aren't too bad, especially if they aren't using it and it gets paged out.

I'd go to Task Manager again (probably no need to use SysInternals AutoRuns, but that can't hurt).  On the Startup tab turn off stuff that you can just run-on-demand (for example, does steam need to run in the background or just when you want to play?).

There shouldn't be anything "hiding" -- that is, if you add up all the programs listed and what they're using, it should exactly equal the amount being used. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's been a long time since it last happened... It might really have been my mouse controller.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 14,904 Applies to: