PC starts freezing and becomes slow when playing Microsoft Casual Games

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 1903 from 1803.  From the Microsoft Store, I have Microsoft Sudoku, Ultimate Word Games, Solitaire Collection, Minesweeper, Mahjong, and Taptiles.  All of them run extremely slow and suddenly freeze or disappear.  After they are gone, my laptop won't even open the start menu.  I have been resetting the apps, then troubleshooting Microsoft Store Apps and the windows update troubleshooter.  Before the upgrade, it would always have to fix data corruption.  After it finished, it would say fixed.  However, I would immediately restart and run the same troubleshooter again.  I would get the same response.  If it were fixed five minutes ago and nothing has been running, why would it need to be fixed again?  So I upgraded and no longer get that message.  Now I am told it can't detect a problem.  I run the compatibility checker and sometimes they will work but sometimes it tells me not compatible.  I have an adequate memory space available.  Windows defender scans and there are no viruses.  I am at my wit's end.  After the Microsoft games quit, even running settings becomes difficult.  What is going on and how can I fix this? I am not a programmer but I am computer friendly.  I have been using computers since 1982. This laptop is a new HP 255 G6. I will continue to search the internet but would appreciate any information.  Maybe I am not the only one with this problem.

***Original title: microsoft store apps casual games***

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while playing Microsoft Casual games on your PC as the PC starts freezing and becomes slow when you launch the games.

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by performing certain troubleshooting steps.

As the issue persists, I would suggest you to try performing Clean Boot on your PC and see if that helps. Refer the article How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

For additional assistance, you can refer the article Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2023 Views 767 Applies to: