PC Restarts instead of shutting down when choosing "update and shut down" option

Basically title. I have had this issue forever.

After installing updates I can choose between Update and Restart and Update and SHut down.

But if I choose "update and shut down", the PC will install updates, then restart, install rest of the updates and be back to log-in screen. SO it never shuts down unless I manually open the meny and press the shut-down button. This is surely not intended behaviour. How do I fix this?

Hi Maksym,
My name is Igor, I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you. I'm sorry you have a problems.

What is your BIOS date? Please check for updated BIOS.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the latest BIOS for my laptop - it is from 2016 I believe

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems BIOS works slighly incorrectly with latest Windows builds unfortunately. I've seen similar problems several times.

You may try to change some boot related BIOS setting, may be this helps. I think laptop manufacturer support your model no more.

If you have fast start in Windows turned on you may try to turn it off.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alternative. You could use an auto shutdown application that can survive a reboot or set up a service or whatever you want to start one on boot and then it should auto shutdown after the update which is a nice bonus anyway since you wouldn't have to sit through that anymore. If you ask me that would be better anyway ;-)

Just have to remember to restrict it so it doesn't run unless you want it to run or something like that.

Of course, suspend also works you know since it works on a timer.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 29,669 Applies to: