Pc is logging into Temporary account after updating to Windows 10 1903

I did the may 2019 update: next day when I tried to sign on, windows does not recognize my password, opens as if I am a new Microsoft/windows account ( home screen with a window) and all folders/photos (and some apps) missing. I'm asked to set up new account because it says I'm using their temporary password...anything/work done or downloaded will not be saved when I shut down.

This happened last year....same problem/desktop screen, Microsoft posted an acknowledged and fixed without me doing anything. IS THIS GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN OR AM I @@@@@?

***Original title: May 2019 update on windows 10***

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 2,278 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with the user account after updating to Windows 10 May 2019 update.

It seems that the PC is booting to a temporary profile, and that might be the reason you are unable to find the user data and applications. For more clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. May I know, when you say ‘windows does not recognize my password’, do you receive any error code when you enter password?

2. Are you being asked to create a new user account?

3. Do you receive a pop up that says ‘you have been logged into a temporary account’?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you try restarting the PC multiple times and check. The reason we are asking to restart the PC multiple times is because, during multiple restarts your system might get back to your actual account.

Also, as you have mentioned that you are unable to find the files/images. Please try searching for the files/images on the PC and check if you are able to find it on the PC.

If the issue persists, please follow the next method.

Method 2:

Try uninstalling any third party antivirus program and check if you are able to boot the PC normally.

Note: If you disable the security software or firewall, the system might be temporarily exposed to security threats and risks. Please make sure to turn install it back once the issue is fixed.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to try changing the registry settings for the user profile. Please follow the steps mentioned below to change the registry settings.

1. Open Start Menu and type CMD, and then right click and select as Run as administrator.

2. Now type the command: wmic useraccount where name='USERNAME' get sid. Where USERNAME is the user name of the account, which you were using previously.

3. Copy the SID and save it a notepad file.

Now follow the below steps to fix the registry for temporary profile.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article on How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.

• In Run dialog box, type regedit and hit enter.

• Now navigate to the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

• Now search for the SID, which you have saved in the notepad file.

• Note: Select the registry key, which does not ends with .bak.

• On the right hand pane search for ProfileImagePath.

• Now right click on it and select Modify.

• Under Value Data put the value: C:\Users\<USERNAME>, Where USERNAME is the user name of the account, which you were using previously.

• Click on OK.

• Now right click on the SID registry key ending with .bak

• Right click on it and select Delete.

• Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the details and the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with the user account after updating to Windows 10 May 2019 update.

It seems that the PC is booting to a temporary profile, and that might be the reason you are unable to find the user data and applications. For more clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. May I know, when you say ‘windows does not recognize my password’, do you receive any error code when you enter password?

2. Are you being asked to create a new user account?

3. Do you receive a pop up that says ‘you have been logged into a temporary account’?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you try restarting the PC multiple times and check. The reason we are asking to restart the PC multiple times is because, during multiple restarts your system might get back to your actual account.

Also, as you have mentioned that you are unable to find the files/images. Please try searching for the files/images on the PC and check if you are able to find it on the PC.

Method 2:

Try uninstalling any third party antivirus program and check if you are able to boot the PC normally.

Note: If you disable the security software or firewall, the system might be temporarily exposed to security threats and risks. Please make sure to turn install it back once the issue is fixed.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to try changing the registry settings for the user profile. Please follow the steps mentioned below to change the registry settings.

1. Open Start Menu and type CMD, and then right click and select as Run as administrator.

2. Now type the command: wmic useraccount where name='USERNAME' get sid. Where USERNAME is the user name of the account, which you were using previously.

3. Copy the SID and save it a notepad file.

Now follow the below steps to fix the registry for temporary profile.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article on How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

• Press Windows key + R. This will open Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.

• In Run dialog box, type regedit and hit enter.

• Now navigate to the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

• Now search for the SID, which you have saved in the notepad file.

• Note: Select the registry key, which does not ends with .bak.

• On the right hand pane search for ProfileImagePath.

• Now right click on it and select Modify.

• Under Value Data put the value: C:\Users\<USERNAME>, Where USERNAME is the user name of the account, which you were using previously.

• Click on OK.

• Now right click on the SID registry key ending with .bak

• Right click on it and select Delete.

• Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the details and the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Alas, nowhere near the ballpark.

I have constantly removed unwanted software and installed old games since the early days of Windows 10. It has constantly reinstalled unwanted software, removed the old games and installed the newer crappier versions etc.

I'm glad I don't depend on Microsoft software!. It's just a pain in the rear without the ability to choose what, where and when gets installed. No temporary account! How did you come to that conclusion?

Gladly I can use Linux.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.