PC freezes completely when gaming. Have to switch off at power button.

Having a bit of a problem latel. Sometimes when playing games, usually about 5-10 mins in, my PC freezes completely. No inputs work(keyboard or mouse), all sound stops, image freezes on screen, cant use ctrl+alt+del and I have to turn it off by holding power button down. Doesnt always happen. Was fine playing Destiny 2 for several hours without crash but had 4 today. Updated Windows and GfX drivers recently. I am not really tech savvy at all. Just want the PC working again. Pls help
Hi, RobertBowman1

Ok I'll give you some tips.

1.- Review the Ram Memory with
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-your-p...
https://www.memtest86.com/

2.- Check your SSD or HDD with (chkdsk)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee8...

3.- Re-create the USB or DVD to install the Operating System, because sometimes it is damaged or corrupted.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

53 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, i hope you're doing good today.

I'm really sorry to hear that, please try these methods and see if one of them works for you.

Solution 1. Run System File Checker and Fix the Freezing Computer

1. Right-click the Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
2. Type "sfc /scannow" into the Command Prompt window and press Enter to run a full system scan.

Leave the Command Prompt to run – this may take between 5-10 minutes. After the process is finished at 100%, if everything goes well, you would get the message 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.' If you see a message 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them', it tells you that you have successfully repaired missing or corrupted system files in Windows 10 with SFC.

Solution 2. Updating all Device Drivers to the Newest

According to users, random computer freezing while playing games usually appears after Windows 10 update. And the reason might be incompatibility of hardware and drivers. To correct it, just update all device drivers.

1) Click Start menu and click Settings tab.
2) Click Update & security.
3) Select Windows Update in the left pane and click Check for updates (make sure you have an active Internet connection).

If updating doesn't work try installing the latest drivers for your GPU from the manufacturer's website.

Solution 3. Perform a System Restore or a Clean Install of Windows 10

If your computer still freezes frequently and randomly when you are playing games or doing something else on Windows 10, you may try to either perform a system restore to roll back to the previous version or do a clean install of Windows 10 to find a fix.

Regards.

242 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 250,674 Applies to: