PC casually shuts down while gaming

Hi!

As the title already says, for a couple of days, my Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ALC6 has been shutting down and immediately restarting during a gaming session every 40 minutes/ 1 hour and 20 minutes max. It doesn't give any signs before shutting down, the screen simply goes black and after half a second the Lenovo logo appears, as it is turning on.

It has done it almost 10 times since 2 days ago(only happens when I'm playing a game as already mentioned) and after the second time sometimes my screen started crashing for like a second and then returning to life (it just blocked and then became normal, the screen didn't become black) and it happened almost every 5-6 minutes.

The specs are:

-AMD Ryzen 5500u

-AMD Radeon Graphics 4Gb+2 shared with ram(doesn't specify type)

-12 Gb DDR4 ram 3200Mhz(4 soldered + 8 I replaced with the 4 one that was installed, I think a month ago)

-Intel Nvme PCIe M.2 2280 SSD(512Gb)

-Windows 11 Home x64 23H2 build(22635.3566)

Done things:

-First of all I searched for any available updates (both Windows Update and Lenovo Vantage/Lenovo Update/from the Lenovo support site which by the way its

Lenovo Service Bridge doesn't work(but that's not what I'm here for) and everything is up to date.

-Then I had a look online and found out about Event Viewer, so having a look in it I found out about two problems:

-First was the amdwddmg driver which was continuously terminating unexpectedly, and it said "The following corrective  action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: 

Restart the service." uninstalled the graphics driver and reinstalled a fresh copy from Lenovo vantage and the crashing for some seconds error went away.

-The second one was related to the GameInput Service which was terminating unexpectedly too more than one time, in the 15 seconds before the laptop

completely crashes and instantly restarts. Found this post and removed the old version.Gameinput service stops working after Windows 11 update KB5032288 : r/WindowsHelp (reddit.com) And the error completely disappeared from Event Viewer.

-Thought the error was removed, but I was wrong😟. It didn't change in anything(except for the crashing for couple seconds error which thankfully got removed).

Tried /sfc scannow, no errors, downloaded Lenovo Diagnostics Evolution and tried the tests of the sections Processor, Display/Display Interface, Memory(Ram),

Motherboard, Storage and Videocard, but there where no errors.

-Then I thought it could be a temperature problem, since I noticed through Task Manager that I never went over 59 C while gaming, and that maybe the max GPU

temperature was set on 60, so I installed Core Temp and Prime95, run a stress test for 45 minutes but the CPU reached 79C max, and the GPU was able to get to

65C without any problems.

-Now the error is still present, and when I look at event viewer after it reboots there is a critical error that says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I don't think this could help but before the critical error there is always these same infos :

-First:The iommu fault reporting has been initialized.

Then: File System Filter 'FileInfo'(some numbers) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Then: the same happens with File System Filter 'Wof' and File System Filter 'WdFilter'.

Then: Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume3) is healthy.  No action is needed.

Then:File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (some numbers again) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Then: same thing again with File System Filter UCPD

Then:The  service entered the Driver load start state. (The source is VfpExt)

Then:The  service entered the Driver load complete state. (The source is VfpExt)

And last:File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (numbers numbers) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Then after the critical error there's this but I think its related to the Pc turning on: Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance

I went out of ideas on what the problem could be, has this happened to someone else too? Is anyone able to help me?

Thanks in advance

|

Hi Walid.wolly.09,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

IoMmu is related to the behavior of memory management, involving the interaction of the CPU, GPU and system memory.

Content mentioned in the same message seems to be related to multiple drivers or applications.

The amdwddmg driver phenomenon and the latest error "Event ID 41" are probably the main factors related to the problem.

The driver seems to be affected during some interactions.

If possible, would you mind sharing more information about this issue with us?

• Does your device retain a system restore point or update history from 10 days ago?

Use System Restore - Microsoft Support

How to uninstall a Windows update - Microsoft Support

• Does the frequency of the problem change when only a single memory stick is retained?

• Is the situation the same if you first temporarily disable any software that may be associated with the OEM and configure a relatively clean environment (for example, new local account or clean boot), then perform a clean install of the driver and test a previous version of the graphics driver (or not limited to graphics driver)?

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support

Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. It can be used to determine whether a background service or program is interfering or causing a problem.

These steps of "clean boot" might look complicated at first glance. However, to avoid any trouble for you, please follow them in order and step-by-step.

Please be careful not to disable any services related to security credentials or security authentication, such as TPM, Security, Credential.

The content in this link mentioned a tool to clean up AMD drivers.

You can access the product's driver page and check "Previous Drivers" to retrieve other versions of drivers.

Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology. 

If I misunderstand your situation, feel free to correct me and share the information.

Best Regards,

Kyo.Y - MSFT | Microsoft Community Technical Support

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Kyo.Y,

Thank you for your answer.

I usually create a restore point before every installation I make, but sadly they all disappeared after a Windows cumulative update got installed two days ago.

As for the memory sticks, since the 4Gb stick is soldered, I can't even run games on it, and the problem occours only while I play a game for a while.

SoI tried installing AMD Cleanup Utility and both the most recent version and the previous one of the Amd Software: Adrenaline Edition with the driver:

• First with Cleanup I removed the existing driver (I did clean boot but it suggested me to use safe mode for it, so that's what I've done)

• Then (not in safe mode I got back to a clean boot) I tried installing the latest version, but after the first time I launched Adrenaline Edition, it wouldn't open again (both in clean boot and normal boot).

• So with Cleanup I removed it again, and tried installing the previous version, which was working normally so I tried playing a game but the laptop still restarted on its own after 45/50 minutes, and there are still the same infos/errors in Event Viewer.

Oh, and just to let you know it's been almost a month since I haven't opened Adrenaline Edition (I usually use it to set settings like Radeon Anti-Lag, Radeon Boost, GPU scaling, ecc. but when I wanted to open it after this error appeared it said that the software version wasn't compatible with the graphics driver or something similar (maybe it just needed an update, I'm not sure).

Best regards

Walid

Edit:I just remembered that I'm a windows Insider, I think I will just 'leave it and install the latest stable version of windows'.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Walid.wolly.09,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Windows Insider Program being a forward-looking program, the stability of systems released through this channel is unpredictable.

Returning to public-facing Windows is indeed an option worth considering.

On the other hand, if you need to get a specific version of Windows, you can refer to the information shared by other community members.

Discussion messages from community members in this thread mentioned channel to obtain some of the previous versions of Windows.

(The channel is not provided directly by Microsoft)

Where can I download the windows 10 and/or 11 iso for ARM - Microsoft Community

Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kyo.Y,

I've tried contacting the Microsoft Support and they tried some solutions, while they were remote controlling the device, which included reinstalling windows, by downloading an iso file, and running some autoruns which I weren't able to understand what they consisted. But it still didn't work... the last operator left while I was trying to play a game to see if it worked but 15 minutes later the pc became unresponsive as it happened before, but before leaving he said that the only remaining solutions were installing a custom iso(if I understood right) or asking for hardware support. I think I'll ask again about the iso and if it doesn't work then I'll just send the PC to Lenovo.

Thank you for your help.

Walid

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Walid.wolly.09,

It seems that testing custom ISO is the only software-level idea in the end.

Anyway, always make sure to back up your important data.

If using a different version of the Windows ISO changes the situation, please feel free to add information to this thread, we will highlight your response so that other community members reading into this thread can build a more comprehensive troubleshooting system for similar issues.

Best Regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 84 Applies to: