Partition Find & Mount software left a ghost virtual disk volume behind

I tried this software called "Partition Find and Mount" out two days ago. At first, I tried thorough scan, which was quite long (it is a 1TB external drive), but in the end it found a deleted partition I needed. Tried to mount, program crashed (not responding). I thought that was it, mounting was unsuccessful and it's a useless piece of ****. So I uninstalled it, and started doing something else. I didn't realise. I didn't notice, until it was time to shut down the PC and go to sleep, that there was a new volume mounted to the system. It had files in it, and it was labeled with the drive letter I assigned to the deleted partition that has been found. Turns out it did actually work. I quickly looked through it, everything worked as it should, I could navigate around, even open files, didn't try copying files tho, which is what I wanted to try yesterday. So I installed the program back quickly, shut down the PC and disconnected the drive. Big mistake. Apparently, when I shut down the PC before unplugging the disk (or maybe it didn't have an effect on that), system still thinks the partition is connected, yet even after reconnecting the disk, I cannot navigate the file system, I cannot open files. System thinks the partition is mounted, even the program thinks it's mounted, but system tells me the file system is corrupted, and program cannout unmount the partition, it shows me this error:

And this is what the program looks like and what it says:

The phantom drive volume shows up in Explorer, but there's no way to get rid of it as it seems. Disk Management doesn't show it, diskpart doesn't list the volume. It seems the only way I could unmount the volume is through the program, but the program refuses to unmount it due to some "Error 2", which I found online corresponds to "not found", that implies the volume is no longer valid, but for some reason it glitched and still shows up. Maybe it will go away with the next restart, in which case I'll post an update. But I doubt that. Can you think of some way that I could get rid of the phantom drive volume? Are drive volumes listed in Windows registry somewhere for example? Previously when the program attached the volume, there was indeed a connection and navigation around the file system in that virtual partition did indeed work, I could even open files. But after I shut the PC down and disconnected the drive, the connection was lost and never reappeared, even after reconnecting the drive. I need to get rid of the phantom volume so I can scan the disk again.

And no, this isn't April Fool.

Answer
Answer

So, here's the thing. I investigated registry to search for "Partition Find and Mount", that exact string didn't yield anything, but "Find and Mount" did, several registry keys. One of them was labeled with "slicedisk", and pointed out to a file "slicedisk_x64.sys", which resides in PFM install directory. I figured out that file wouldn't be too wise to delete, but I tried to delete the registry key that pointer was in, and rebooted Windows. That helped actually, phantom drive was no more. So I tried to find and mount that deleted partition again with PFM and voilà, it did work again. This time, I let the PC take its time to open the Explorer with the partition for me, and it didn't crash. Perfect. Now did it really work?

So first I tried to navigate around. Check. Next time, I tried to open various files. Check. Tried to copy a small file from it. Check. Then I copied all contents from a single folder. Check. Then I tried to mount a virtual CD image from the partition, plays without any issue. Check. Then, the moment of truth. Does the copied file work? Does the virtual CD mount from my copied files? Yes, it does. So that's another, and final check. So did it really work? I think so. This is what I'm going to stick with, and this is what I'm going to use to copy the entire contents of the deleted partition to another external disk.

Marking this answer as the solution. It doesn't matter it's the solution that comes from who asked. I can help countless people with this exact issue or very similar, where they simply have a ghost volume and there's seemingly no way to get rid of it. There is, but some methods to get rid of it may be quite obscure.

So if you find out your program for mounting virtual drives somehow crashes and leaves you with a phantom drive that doesn't really work and you cannot seemingly get rid of it, there is always a way to get rid of it. Make sure to remember which program was used, and remember that almost always this is utilized with the use of Windows registry. Run "regedit" (Win+R and type regedit, press Enter/Return), and search for the program name. If it says something regarding of a disk, that might be it. Double check it is indeed related to the program and delete that registry key. Make sure to delete only that registry key, not any file associated with it. And of course reboot the system. It should get rid of it. If not, something else must be wrong and I don't have another solution for you. But at least you tried something :) If the program stops working after that, maybe you can uninstall it and install it again, that should fix the program. There is a solution to almost every problem, you only have to seek it. And don't just ask online and wait for a response, try some solutions and experiments yourselves. I do realize that this is more for more experienced users, but hey. Even experienced users had to learn it somehow, didn't they? It's not really that hard, trust me :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2023 Views 613 Applies to: