Outlook Express 6 folder structure in Windows Live Mail - Multiple Accounts

Hello,

I have recently migrated form Windows XP(32 - Bit)  to Windows 7(64 - Bit), which included migrating from Outlook Express 6 to Windows Live Mail.

So far, I have already configured my 3 accounts that I need to have running concurrently on this email client, imported contacts and the old emails stored on Outlook Express 6, reconfigured custom folders and their respective rules.

One thing that I seem to be lacking is being able to have the email for all 3 accounts (sent, inbox, deleted, drafts and custom folders) under a single menu like in Outlook Express 6. Here is an example, which I grabbed from the internet, of how it used to look like and what I am looking for:

On Windows Live Mail, which has been updated to the most recent version, I have 3 separate menus (one for which account) with their own "system"/default folders. This is less than ideal for me and I have gotten around this by forwarding the Inboxes for the three accounts to local storage, which means that I can have deleted emails, drafts and custom folders all under one single menu - the Local Storage. The remaining issues are that Sent Items will still be stored on the menu/folder respective to the account that was used to send emails.

I have also tried Quick Views just for the Sent Email, but it continues to look like a mine field, since the sent items for the three accounts will be at the top, outgoing email will be somewhere in the middle of all the menus and the rest of the email, which is under local storage, will be all the way at the bottom ( this is another issue - I cannot seem to be able to move menus up and down and have their positions saved when Windows Live Mail is relaunched).

One last way this could work out would be to have Quick Views allow me to show custom folders, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility.

Here is an image that I grabbed from the internet, which shows how Windows Live Mail looks like with multiple email accounts:

The only thing it doesn't show is the Local Storage Folders, which are usually after the "Live (...)" menus.

Thank You for your time.

Go to the View Tab and select Quick Views.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the time you took to answer, but as I have said Quick Views is severely limited mainly because it does not allow custom folders. I believe you have missed some of the points in my initial post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can create one "Inbox" folder and divert incoming mail to it using message rules. There is nothing you can do for outgoing mail though.

First, create a local folder to be used as an Inbox and name it anything you want. Then create a message rule for each account.

Where the message is from the specified account.
Move it to the specified folder & Stop processing more rules.
Click on: Specified Account and enter the account name for the second Inbox.
Click on: Specified Folder and select the folder you created.
Name the rule.

Move this rule to the top of the rules list and the incoming messages will be moved to the new folder.

Bruce Hagen
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I already have this system in place for incoming email. I am still looking for a solution for sent email though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

Bruce Hagen
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 328 Applies to: