Outlook 365 not working after Windows 10 Sept 15 2020 forced update.

After routinely shutting my computer down on Sept 15 2020, Windows 10 installed a large forced update.  Since then, Microsoft Outlook 365 does not work.  I have restarted the computer and Outlook a couple of times, checked forums, and disabled add-ins, but I still cannot use Outlook.  Can anyone recommend a solution?
Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William. I'm a Windows technical expert. I'll be happy to help you out today.

Try running either of the repair options. To do this, run appwiz.cpl > locate Microsoft 365 > select Change > select Quick Repair. If that does not resolve, then run Online repair (which is similar to reinstalling the product).

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried first quick repair, then Online repair.  This included a restart after the install.  So far no luck--Outlook still will not start.  Other help? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

have tried recreating or rebuilding the local profile? See this link for details: https://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

if that does not work, can you provide your event logs? Windows Event Viewer > Windows Logs > right-click Applications and System logs respectively > Save all events as...

Also include system information by running msinfo32.exe > File > Save.

You can upload the files to OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or some other file sharing service and share the link here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issues seems to be due to DirectX Typography component DWrite.dll and problem with the font cache:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13127.20408, time stamp: 0x5f56c53c
Faulting module name: DWrite.dll, version: 10.0.19041.388, time stamp: 0xb95aa06c
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000b4957
Faulting process id: 0x33f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68c6520d50177
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DWrite.dll

Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache\~FontCache-S-1-5-21-493408778-1614575381-188428122-1001.dat for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Microsoft Outlook because of this error.

Do the following:

Click Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as administrator > type net stop fontcache.

Open file explorer > select the View tab > check option Hidden items > navigate manually (do not paste) to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache > delete the files ~FontCache-S-1-5-21-493408778-1614575381-188428122-1001.dat and ~FontCache-FontSet-S-1-5-21... > restart the computer. Report back on the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not so good.  The command line said that I had successfully stopped fontcache, but when I tried to delete in the FontCache folder, it said the file was in use.  Same after a restart. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not the folder, only the files ~FontCache-S-1-5-21-493408778-1614575381-188428122-1001.dat and ~FontCache-FontSet-S-1-5-21...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I included the folder so you could see it.  But with a single file delete:

Can't get this window to accept the screen shot, but it says the file is in use.  This even though the command prompt said it had stopped. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to assume the Windows Font Cache service is starting again before you can delete the files. Do the following: open services.msc > locate Windows Font Cache Service > select Stop the service from the upper-left > open the Windows Font Cache Service > under Startup type change behavior to Disabled > delete the files mentioned previously > change the service startup back to Automatic > restart the computer.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your help.  I have been meaning to update.  I ended up going back to a previous version of Windows 10, which then after a few days reloaded the updates that created the problem.  That was rough going for a day or two, but now everything seems to have been working for the last few weeks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2022 Views 520 Applies to: