One Win10 computer can see other on network, but not vice versa

I'm sure it's a common problem, but I can't find the solution. One of my Windows 10 computers (Number 1) can see another on my home network (Number 2), but Number 2 cannot see Number 1.

"Private" network.

Bitdefender (but problem remains even if firewall is off).

Network discovery in ON on both computers.

Applicable folders on both computers are shared (with "Everyone"). Full access/permission.

Password protection is off.

If I open Windows Explorer on Number 2, Number 1 does not appear at all in the Network list. (FWIW, a third computer, Number 3, does appear and can be accessed. On Number 1, both Number 2 and Number 3 appear and can be accessed.)

To further confuse things, Number 3 can see both Number 1 and 2. (So...even though 2 cannot see 1, 3 can see 1.

Not quite sure what else to do.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that one computer cannot see  other computers on the network. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

1. Is this the first time you are trying to share files on network?

2. Were you able to access the computer on the network earlier?

3. Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?

4. Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

We would like to know if you are able to access the computer using the IP address. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open Run dialog box.

2. Type \\IPAddress (ex: 192.168.x.x) and check if you are able to access the driv

I would suggest you to refer the section How do I troubleshoot sharing files and folders? mentioned in the article File sharing over a network in Windows 10 and see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 1,306 Applies to: