On my grandfather's computer, I am unable to install several important updates

Edit: The computer is an Hp Pavilion with Windows 7 Home Premium loaded on it as the only OS.
 A problem occurred with his microsoft outlook 2010 as well which led me to look for updates and fixes that might help, but these updates do not work and I believe they will need to be fixed before I can work on the office problem. The updates are:
KB976932 (Windows 7 Service Pack 1), 
KB2618451 (Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7), 
KB2636233 (Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7)

the updates often get up to around 24% complete before failing and erroring.

resulting in errors 80073701 and 80073712.

additionally, KB2434419 (Windows Live Essentials 2011) launches properly but fails to properly update once launched, stating error 0x80040609. 

I have attempted to use the Hotfix for Windows update KB947821, but it seemed to have no effect even after restarting the computer, and another microsoft fix it program that also did nothing, if I find the name of that I will add it to this post.

These problems occured several weeks ago, I think around the 28th or 29th of january, and I do not know what caused them.

I would appreciate any help possible. If your help consists of telling me to format my computer or buy a mac, please keep it to yourself.

edit: additionally, an update for their Canon printer keeps adding itself to the available list. It installs successfully every time, but it's the same update every time as well.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Help us help you: Start by reading this "sticky" post...

• What information to post in the Windows Update forum
       http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395

Also see...

• Suggestions for asking a question in help forums
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

NOTE: Support for Win7 Gold (i.e., Service Pack 1 not installed) ends on 09 April 2013. As of 14 May 2013, Windows Update will not offer any updates unless & until SP1 has been installed. See http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2013/02/14/windows-7-rtm-end-of-support-is-right-around-the-corner.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It is a 64bit version, and the last good update was installed last wednesday. I do not remember what that update was, will soon post what that set of updates was as soon as I get on that computer again. 
Other than that and the service pack # (which seems moot since the primary update in question is Service Pack 1, but I'll try and see what the computer thinks its SP# is as soon as I can get my hands on the computer again), I have provided the rest of the detail listed in those 2 links to the best of my ability.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If neither KB2618451 nor KB2736233 [I assume] are installed, the computer may be missing as much as seventeen (17) months' worth of security updates!

I still need much more information from you but in the meantime, please also answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply - preferably without quoting my post:

1. Which, if any, of the following updates are NOT listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2792100, KB2797052, KB2789645, KB2778344, KB2799494, KB2790655 & KB2790113;
   (b) KB2769369, KB2742599, KB2756921, KB2736422 & KB2757638 or possibly KB2758694.
   (c) KB2753842, KB2758857 & KB2727528;
   (d) KB2705219 & KB2712808;
   (e) KB2676562 & KB2644615.

2. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

3a. Is Java Version 7 Update 13 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

3b. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.6.602.168 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

4. Are you (or is your grandfather) in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To update my earlier answers, as far as I can tell he has no service pack installed. Usually Service Pack is mentioned in the System Page you get to by hitting my computer > properties, but none is mentioned on his. 

The updates that installed on 2/13 were KB2778344, KB2596802, KB8090830, KB2789642, KB2760631, KB2792100, KB2790113, KB2790655, KB2553378, KB2597090, KB2797052, KB2767916, KB2767848. I think that was all of them.

1. The following updates do not show up in the list of installed updates when I search for them using the search bar, and I did not see them manually scrolling through the full list but it is huge and it's easily possible I missed them.

(a) KB2789645
   (b) KB2742599, KB2756921, KB2736422, & KB2758694.

Should I attempt to search for and download each manually?

2. No, though my preference is Chrome, he exclusively uses IE and does not have Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or any other web browser installed. I suppose I ought to note that he's still using IE8, and didn't want to upgrade to 9 when I asked him. His vision is very poor so he prefers to stick with the version whose layout works for him and is familiar, which is what caused the microsoft office issues we've been having that led me to look into all this.

3a. His current java verison was Version 6 Update 39. Attempts to use their updater have failed repeatedly since the date these issues started to occur, but apparently it worked fine today and he now has Version 7 Update 15...

3b. His current flash player version was 10.0.32.18. Again, attempts to use the updater have failed constantly, but worked today for some reason, so he now has 11.6.602.168

These miracles did not extend to fixing my windows update problem.

4. He has AVG's Free Anti-Virus installed but to the best of my knowledge we have never used any of those utilities listed on his computer.

Additionally, today the HP Update software installed on his computer launched and said that 3 important updates were available: "HP Update Software Utility", "Windows 7 Critical Update to enhance reliability of network connection", and "Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue". I didn't see any reason not to try and run these, but they all failed to download on the spot, despite the computer having a perfectly fine wireless connection.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, he needed his computer back the night I originally posted this and I wasn't able to get it back from him until this morning.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The following updates do not show up in the list of installed updates when I search for them using the search bar, and I did not see them manually scrolling through the full list but it is huge and it's easily possible I missed them.

(a) KB2789645
(b) KB2742599, KB2756921, KB2736422, & KB2758694.

1a. Is KB2789644 (one update) or KB2686830 and KB2686831 (i.e. both updates) listed in View installed updates?

1b. How about KB2742598, KB2756920 & KB2736418 (i.e, all three updates) or KB2686830?

2. When (approx. date) did he purchase the computer?

3. What, if any, anti-virus application was installed before he installed AVG Free (any version), was the subscription still current and did he uninstall it before he installed AVG Free?

4a. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since he bought it?

4b. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when he bought it? (Doesn't matter if he never used or Activated it.)

5. You mention a "wireless connection" in your last post. Is that a true WiFi connection (i.e., via a wireless router which in turn is connected to a broadband connection) or a mobile wireless connection?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reminder => http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2013/02/14/windows-7-rtm-end-of-support-is-right-around-the-corner.aspx

PS: Kudos & lots of    for helping your grandfather out with this!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. The first two are, the third is not.

1b. The first 3 are, and KB2686830 is installed. (I'm guessing you didn't mean to have KBKB)

2. Late Spring - Early Summer of 2010

3, 4a, 4b. He's been running AVG for as long as I can remember, but I think a McAfee trial version came installed, though I'd have removed it asap. May have been norton instead of mcafee. I have never intentionally installed a norton or mcafee product on his computer.

5. Via wireless router.

And yeah, I saw that in your earlier post. Glad I caught this when I did, hopefully it'll be done before that date...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Might have a fix for Grampa's computer...

ACTIONS

[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference. IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session! If a Step says to reboot,reboot! ]

1a. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:  ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

1b. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3a. Right-click on the file you saved in #1a above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility, then reboot again.

3b. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1b above and select Run as Administrator. to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

4. Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE9, too,

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third that you will NOT use).

5a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

5b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot.

6. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings as well as the APPLIES TO section] & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

7a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

7b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the Windows Update troubleshooter pop-up! - then...

7c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]

8. Reboot one last time then test by running a manual check for updates & seeing if all security-related updates offered will successfully install now; follow all prompts.

TIP: Uncheck but do not hide SP1. If all of the other, security-related updates successfully installed, run another manual check for updates and see if SP1 will install as a stand-alone.

NOTE => After installing SP1, it might take 20 minutes or more for Windows to fully-load on the reboot so be very, VERY patient.

9. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

====================================================
[1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Made it to step 6, and then after selecting Delete Personal Settings, the Applying Default Settings step failed. (Oops, I didn't notice the "Then reboot" at the end of 5b. Long day. Rebooted, then ran the fix it again. Applying default settings failed again.)

Should I proceed to step 7?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try doing the Reset manually instead of running the Fix It.

IE Tools | Internet Options [ALT+T+O] | Advanced (tab) | press/click on the RESET button at very bottom | Etc., etc.

If still no joy, proceed to Step #7 anyway.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Manual reset successful.

Step 7, Ran the fixit in default mode, restarted system as the fixit advised, ran the aggressive mode.

Restarted the system again.

Checked for updates (took a fair amount of time)
Ran:
KB2618451 (Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7), 
KB2636233 (Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7)

Both failed, code 80073712.

Will run SP1 tonight if I don't get anything else to try first, but for now I have to go run some errands.

Edit: Checked the update log, and despite the fact that I had it unchecked and that it didnt show up in the list of updates trying to install, the update history has SP1 listed as attempted and failed at the same time as the other two.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 21, 2020 Views 2 Applies to: