old hard drive is unresponsive; all recovery methods freeze my computer. What's going on?

Hello!

I was trying to move data from an old SATA HDD when my computer crashed. Since then, the five main folders have all shown up as 0 bytes, and file explorer stops responding when i go into the folders.

When i used both the 'scan' and 'scan and repair' options for the drive, both of them reach a certain point before also freezing completely as well. At that point i can't close the programs, even through task manager, and I've had to force shut down my computer each time.

My father suggested putting it in the fridge - which I accepted out of desperation and that seemed to actually work because my Pictures folder started responding again, but after trying to scan and repair it again i realised the app had frozen once again.
I've even tried to use the third party tool 'Disk Drill' but even that crashes after a minute or so. Finally, i'm trying to use chkdsk in command prompt but so far, it also seems to have stuck at Stage 2 (examining file name linkage) for an unreasonably long time.

At this point i've already given up on my drive - but I've got many memories and also a personal project on there so it would be a miracle if I was able to get it functioning again. Does anybody have any ideas as to what has happened to it, and if it's possible to restore anything. Thanks!

(Below is a picture of the command line, which hasn't changed for about twenty minutes now.)

Answer
Answer

I've got many memories and also a personal project on there so it would be a miracle if I was able to get it functioning again. Does anybody have any ideas as to what has happened to it, and if it's possible to restore anything.

It is obvious that your disk has crashed. Your chances of retrieving anything are close to nil. Sorry to say so but this is the time to review your backup policy. This step is frequently takn only after a major disaster.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2020 Views 67 Applies to: