Odd "Scheduler" error messages

I can really run accross the weird ones....have searched & searched.....Help anybody?

Vista Home Prem / SP2 -- moderate to advanced user / One standard and one admin account on system / Mcafee

When launching task scheduler with admin account to review schedules the following message boxes appear in this order:

"Task Scheduler service not available. Task manager will attempt to reconnect to it"  <clicked OK>

"An error has occurred for task Reminders - {user2}. Error message: The specified account name is not valid." <clicked OK>

"An error has occurred for task Reminders - {user1(the admin acct)}. Error message: The specified account name is not valid." <clicked OK>

Then the scheduler snapin appears & populates. Running vista on laptop and want to remove any unneeded overhead & "error processing" to improve performance -- how can I determine the cause of these errors to resolve?

Have verifed (mgmt console says) scheduler is runnning & "automatic" / dependencies (DCOM, etc. verified as running.

Note/fyi: way back upon system setup the computer was named"computer_3" then in troubledshooting some network DCHP issues (later related to 'nodetype') the computer was re-named "computer3" as some literature warned against using "_" in a computer name -- has this affected/confused any policy/group security issues? No user accounts were deleted/recreated after the computer name change.

...thank you for you time and input

Hi Scuba,

I would suggest you to navigate to the following registly key and delete the key and check if it helps you fix the task scheduler issue.

1. Click the Start button, type “regedit” (without quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following registry key by expanding the "+" beside the registry tree in the left pane:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCalendar\Reminder

3. Delete the{user2} and {user1 (the admin acct)}keys there.

4. Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer to check the results.

Note: Sometimes this problem is caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To fix the problem, you have to use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries.

However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow the steps as in the KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gracious Thanks Srinivas, that took care of 2 of 3 error messages:

Once you pointed me to Windows Calender Reminders I first went to calender for each user and unchecked "Reminders should show when Calendar is not running" -- none of the users currently use cal reminders plus no use to spawn? [old Vax/VMS terminology for fun] a background? service? not needed.

Then I deleted to registry entries above -- that took care of the "An error has occurred for task Reminders..." for each user.

The error message box "Task Scheduler service not available. Task manager will attempt to reconnect to it" continues to display each time you launch task scheduler....any ideas on this?

...thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2019 Views 2,706 Applies to: