NVME won’t work properly to install windows 11

So I have a ASUS z790-v with a Samsung 980 pro NVME ssd. It’s a new build and it needs windows 11. However the storage device shows up on the bios, but doesn’t register it as NVME or a storage device on the other settings. Also it doesn’t show up as a disk from the command window. How can you fix this?

|
Hi,
I'm Rodrigo and I'll help you.
Download this storage driver for your motherboard from the ASUS website:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/05SATA/DR...

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Extract the file, and copy the "Driver" folder to a USB drive (it can be the same one you are using to install Windows 11).

During the Windows 11 installation, on the screen to select the storage device, select "Load drivers" > Browse > Select the Drivers folder on the USB storage > Select the driver > Next.

If the procedure worked correctly, you should be able to see your NVME drive now.
If I helped you anyway, It makes me happy.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I had the same issue on a brand new Asus Vivobook Pro 16x Laptop (Intel i9-13980HX Processor) that I wanted to swap out the built-in disk for a bigger NVMe drive from Western Digital and do a fresh install of Windows 11 .

It looks like the Windows 11 USB boot/install disk doesn't come with the right drivers for some newer Intel CPU models (i.e. 12th or 13th generation CPU's, so you need the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) Drivers or it won't find the NVMe. Here's what I did to fix this issue.

1. Downloaded the IRST drivers for my 13th Generation Intel CPU direct from the Intel Download Centre (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html) 

2. As the download was only available in an executable format (SetupRST.exe), you need to extract it to get the INF driver files (you can do this by browsing to the directory in a PowerShell prompt and then using the following command to extract it to a folder (./SetupRST.exe -extractdrivers SetupRST_extracted)

3. Copy all the INF files from that SetupRST_extracted folder to the Windows 11 USB Boot drive (I created a folder called "NVMeDrivers" on it to differentiate it from the rest of Windows installation files

4. Boot your PC from the USB drive and start Windows installation in Advanced mode.

5. When it says it can't find the disk, select "Load driver" option and browse to the directory you have copied the INF files to and then select one of the drivers from the list of compatible drivers shown (in my case I just selected the first one on the list)

6. Hey presto, Windows Installer now showed up my drive with the correct size and I was able to format it and install Windows as normal :)

P.S. It's possible the same problem exists for other CPU architecture such as AMD, so if that is the case you may need to find equivalent storage drivers from AMD in order to continue with the Windows installation.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2024 Views 3,199 Applies to: