NTLDR is Missing Windows 10

I left my computer in and presumably the computer did an update in my absence Windows 10 updated. When I returned home, I found the nasty message NTLDR is missing.

So far, I have tried using Windows 10 DVD to repair to no avail, System Restore to no avail.

I pulled the drive to a docking station and ran the chkdsk /f /x command to no avail from another computer.

As far as I can tell, everything is still on the drive and completely readable. I did install a new drive to the computer, did a quick Linux installation and backed up my documents and photos to the Linux installation.

My system never had Windows XP! It did come with Windows 8 which was immediately upgraded to 10. I do have 2 HDDs one of which is used for the system restore files. At one time I had a dual boot system with Linux but Windows did not play nice and very early during a Windows 10 update wiped out my grub boot loader and I never reinstalled so tucked away on one partition on the one hard drive is a Linux operating system.

I really don't want to do a clean install of Windows! 

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you’re facing issues when booting the PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

We will certainly look into this for you.

Let’s try rebuilding BCD file and see if that helps.

Rebuild BCD:

You can try rebuilding the BCD file manually and see if the PC boots fine.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
  2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
  3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
  4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select TroubleshootAdvanced options > Command Prompt.
  5. Now type in the commands and hit Enter:
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos
    BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
  6. Restart the PC.

Rebuild BCD Store:

I would suggest you to export and delete the BCD store and rebuild the BCD store. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
  2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
  3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
  4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select TroubleshootAdvanced options > Command Prompt.
  5. Now type in the commands and hit Enter:
    bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h –r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks for the reply. when I run the bootrec /Fixboot command I get an error message, "access denied"

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Using an older version of Windows 10 install media, I was able to get past the access "denied error" of the Fixboot command but came across another error and the machine will still not boot.

At the command BOOTREC /rebuildbcd

I get response: "Total identified Windows Installations: 1 Add installation to boot list?"

When I respond "Y", I get response, "The requested system device cannot be found."

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was finally able to repair with the above commands but had to find an older version of Windows 10 install media to handle the /Fixboot command. I had to use a new version of Windows 10 install media to issue the /rebuildbcd command which had to be issued twice.

Following this, running the repair startup tool in the Windows 10 install media twice repaired the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad you got it fixed but the NTLDR is relative to an XP boot loader.  The site below would have given you a command to change that.

How it got there in the first place is a little strange..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bootsect-command-line-options

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 6,279 Applies to: