No tablet mode CTRL + ALT + DELETE or Windows Security button?

I just bought a HP TX2-1020US laptop/tablet which came with Vista Home Premium.  Okay so far.  I upgraded to OS to Vista Ultimate and joined it to my SBS2008 home domain and worked out great too.

The problem is: when I'm in tablet mode, there's no "Windows Security" button referred to in the "Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE or Windows Security button" prompt at system start up.  I end up having to convert to laptop mode, press CAD, and convert again to tablet mode, and use the biometric login each and every time.  Same thing for unlocking the machine after a screensaver invocation, etc.

HP support says they only support the "as sold" configuration so, even though I'm prompted for an upgrade as it sets up for the first time, I'm on my own if I do.  Not a very "the computer is personal again" approach to customer service...;-)

I thought I could reassign a button on the tablet surface - perhaps the "Mediasmart" button that I wouldn't otherwise need.  But the upgrade apparently took a toll on that too since the Tablet PC Control Panel dialog, in both the General and Button tabs, got decidedly cryptic after the upgrade with the Tablet button ID showing as @BttnCmn.DLL,-2, -9, -7, etc. (e.g. the Change display orientation button is @BttnCmn.DLL,-9).

I'd welcome a solution that either side-steps the need to press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and brings me directly to where a finger-swipe would perform a logon, or a button reassignment so I could press it without having to de-tablet-mode every time.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Answer
Answer
And one possible answer is:

1. Administrative Tools | Local Security Policy
  2. (Elevate privilege)
  3. Local Policies | Security Options
  4. Change Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL from "Not Defined" to "Enabled"
  5. Close Local Security Policy tool.

The CTRL+ALT+DELETE screen is bypassed and the login screen is used instead (for which the fingerprint reader works just fine).

Thanks,
Richard

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2024 Views 42,004 Applies to: