No signal to monitor after upgrading to Windows 10

As the title sugggests i was using Windows 8 and decided to try the free uprade to windows 10, so when i got a notification that my upgrade was ready i chose to install it, i accepted the initial steps of the installation which led me to a black screen, with no signal at all, as if i've cut the screen's cable...therefore i can do nothing regarding drivers, bios etc...

Suffice to say i expected some minor bugs but this is completely unacceptable, i have neither the time nor the money to spent on technicians and troubleshooting, is there any reasonable/timely way out of this nonsense?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

PS: from personal experience i'd strongly recomend to anyone reading this to not touch the upgrade, it just ruined my PC and possibly my thesis too.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

It’s really unfortunate that you are facing this issue. But don't worry we will try to help you out.

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:
    • To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
    • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
  2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.
    • Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
    • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
      • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
      • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Please refer the link below

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any update to this? I don't even get a signal.when I boot into BIOS. How can I rollback this horrible update?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have had this too, nothing is on,just message no signal can't do a thing!!

Just seems to be sitting there not doing much!!

Need a little help here

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For anyone still looking for a solution on this, I love how they tell you to check with your video card manufacturer about an updated driver.  And how are you supposed to install said downloaded driver when nothing is shown on the monitor? 

For most, that's going to be a huge problem.  So glad that the compatibility scan took that into account before the upgrade started and told me everything was fine and to go ahead. 

For those who have set up a remote access program like TeamViewer, that might be your solution.  I thought my upgrade install had frozen and failed as I had no signal on any monitor I plugged into the video card.  However, I noticed on our laptop that the upgraded desktop that was black screen was showing up as connected on TeamViewer.  I connected to the desktop from the laptop and was shown a square screen with the Win10 upgrade welcome screen.  Connected remotely, I finished the steps of the install.  I tried to change the monitor configurations, but nothing was being detected at all.  It just showed I had one generic monitor and that was it, the screen of which was only viewable through the remote connection.  Neither of the physically connected monitors is receiving any signal. 

I'm guessing that the plugged-in video card needs a driver update, so, hopefully that will resolve this.   Desktop box is in the home office my wife uses, so, this will be a weekend project, but hopefully either plugging in a VGA to the port that's off the motherboard rather than the video card will give me something to see.  Otherwise, I guess I'll just be logging in and downloading the driver update remotely via TeamViewer.  

Still hoping this hasn't been a huge mistake and that I can resolve the driver issue.  Was just worried that Win 7 support would go away soon and I'd have to end up paying for Win10 at that point. 

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just installed the Windows 10 update yesterday & now get no signal to my monitor. It’s impossible to do any of the siggested solutions without being able to see the monitor. I fear ive ruined my computer & will now have to spend money to hire someone to fix it. Have there been any other solutions since this thread is kind of old?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same.  Updated a few months ago.  Black screen, no signal to monitors.  2nd time I have had to deal with this BS.  No solution out there anywhere...

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 22,642 Applies to: