No longer recognized: SH-S183L Lightscribe WriteMaster DVD burner

Why doesn't my system even recognize that there is a drive attached now? After I reinstalled a new copy of Win7 Pro, this optical disk drive could read media but not burn to a blank disk. Also of course the Lightscribe labeller didn't work because I assume the Win7 drivers only support basic disk read functions, which is understandable. Before installing the Lightscribe software though, I just went to the Samsung site, found the firmware upgrade and chose the _SB03 version. After allowing that program to run and appear to install drivers, it asked me to restart. Upon doing so, the drive is completely dead as if there was no power to it. It's not listed in the Device Manager. After restarting a couple times, attempting to install the _SB01 version of the Samsung software, which would not install and reports that no drive is found, then enabling the "Hot plug' feature in BIOS of the SATA connectors on my ASUS P8P67 mother board, still nothing. What gives?

Answer
Answer

Hi John,

Follow these methods:

Method 1:

Run the automated troubleshooting to automatically diagnose and repair problems with your CD or DVD drive when trying to read or burn media.

Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media

Also see:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Method 3:

Remove and reinstall the existing DVD drive drivers and see if that does the trick.

Follow these steps:

a.     Open Device Manager.

b.     Expand “DVD/CD-ROM drives”.

c.     Right-click the CD and DVD devices and then click “Uninstall”.

d.     When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click “OK”.

e.     Restart the computer.

Required drivers will be automatically installed.

Also see:

Why the ODD (DVD drive) is not recognized, after installing Windows 7?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 25, 2019 Views 1,766 Applies to: