No longer able to identify where login screen picture was taken

When I purchased my latest Window 10 2-in-1 in January it was possible to reveal the location of the place shown in the login screen picture. Two or three months ago this feature disappeared. I still see random pictures, when each one first appears I am asked if I like the photograph but I can no longer ask for details of the location. I find this most frustrating.  

Hello,

In order for us to assist you with your concern in identifying where your login screen picture was taken, we need additional information.

• Is your device completely up to date with the latest version of Windows?
  • Can you send us a screenshot of the login screen picture?

We look forward to your reply.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

In order for us to assist you with your concern in identifying where your login screen picture was taken, we need additional information.

• Is your device completely up to date with the latest version of Windows?
  • Can you send us a screenshot of the login screen picture?

We look forward to your reply.

Thanks for responding. 

Windows Update confirms that I have the latest version of Windows 10 (64 bit).

It seems that Print Screen will not work prior to logging in. Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology to describe the screen. When I open my computer an attractive photograph of a scenic area is shown on my screen. This varies frequently and appears to be random. The photograph disappears when I log in and is replaced with my chosen wallpaper. 

Liam

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi - correct... you cannot use the Prtscr option at the log in stage... if you lock the screen by using Winkey+L  you should be able to snap it then... you should also be seeing the details there - as well as the 'like/not for me' options...

The loss of this information may be due to a network setting but first check if you are seeing anything in lock screen mode (this is assuming you have chosen Windows Spotlight for your lockscreen background.) - Cheers, Ric.

No longer active in this community from July 2018 - Regards to all - RW

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi - correct... you cannot use the Prtscr option at the log in stage... if you lock the screen by using Winkey+L  you should be able to snap it then... you should also be seeing the details there - as well as the 'like/not for me' options...

The loss of this information may be due to a network setting but first check if you are seeing anything in lock screen mode (this is assuming you have chosen Windows Spotlight for your lockscreen background.) - Cheers, Ric.

Thanks Ric. Using Winkey+L isn't doing it for me. 

I hadn't heard of Windows Spotlight and so did some research. I am using it. According to Wikipedia "For most of the images, no photo credits are available, but some do display information about where the picture was taken". Perhaps I have viewed all the images for which credits are available and am now being presented with random images selected by Bing. Liam

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Liam - I recall another contributor in this forum has created a link in Wikipedia naming many of the earlier pictures' locations - but new ones are being added all the time and they do usually carry some sort of info... sometimes it's promotional stuff for an MS product or other service, but there's usually something to read.

I'll get back tomorrow with a few settings you can check. - R.

Here's an example (from last year, but this is still how it should appear...)

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again - These are the settings you should check - it may change spotlight behaviour but unfortunately there seem to be many variables so no guarantees!

In Personalization - Lock Screen Settings - turn off all associated settings and apps (these can be turned on again later) - try toggling between Picture and Windows Spotlight a few times - using the Winkey+L check as you go...

If that makes no difference try checking Settings - Network and Internet - if you are on (or have set) 'Metered Connx' then Spotlight will not work correctly... otherwise try a Network Reset (towards foot of page) - note the alert that you may need to reset other network devices afterwards so only proceed with that if you are OK to do so.

If you are still not seeing any change just try switching to the 'Picture' setting in Personalization for a few days - then try switching back... beyond that it's really getting into sledgehammer/nut territory (clean installs etc.) so probably just best to stick with what you're getting if there are no other major issues. - R.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 13,480 Applies to: