No Logon Displays after Remote Desktop connection

I am trying to connect to my office computer via my Dell laptop (XP professional) using Remote Desktop. After starting VPN and then the remote desktop, I seem to connect to my office computer. I can see the gray bar at the top with the pushpin and my computer name. However, there is no logon dialog, and the remainder of the screen is solid blue. No desktop icons display. I took my laptop to the office and tried it there with success. At home, my husband has tried the same connection using his laptop. He can get to my office computer successfully. Any ideas what is wrong?
I am having the same problem trying to login to my office PC. I also have a Belkin Wireless router and use VPN Client software. I also get the blank (black) screen with the bar at the top with my PC name but I don't get the login display and after a minute it says the connection was broken and may have been caused by a network error. I can login to my PC at work using my wife's laptop which has 4GB of memory (my desktop only has 2GB which should be enough I would think).

It should would be nice if someone could help us...........!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I found a solution for my problem courtesy of my IT group at work. I downloaded all the Micorsoft updates on my home PC as they came through until there weren't any left. Than I went into the Control panel and then removed the program for the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client in case it was corrupted (it gets downloaded automatically when you sign into VPN Client). After all that I was able to finally login to my office PC using Windows XP Home Edition to connect to PC at work using Windows XP Pro.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar situation. Using a Windows 7 Home Premium, I manage to establish a remote desktop connection to a XP Professional SP3.

After login to the company domain (Active Directory) I get a blank blue screen (with no task bar).

I manage to invoke the remote Task Manager with CTL-ALT-End.

The system is mostly idle. (System Idle Process uses 99% of the CPU. wmiprsve.exe is the second task in the list.)

How can I know what is blocking my system / is my login sequence blocked somewhere ?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2023 Views 6,463 Applies to: